HS Pickguard for a Floyded Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Pickguard for a Floyded Strat

I just got one off of ebay and it comes with two holes for controls and a 5 way.

I have regular volume pots and push/pull DPDT pots. The control holes look to be out of the way of the whammy bar if a push pull is used, but you never know.

I have standard tone pots and a new in the bag TBX control.

I've used the Schaller Mega E switch with dual hums and like it. I have one in a Charvel Model 3A with a Distortion Mayhem combo.

I'm curious for ideas on how others have wired there HS "hard rock / metal" guards. I don't want 17 different choices, just ones that work good / sound good.

For the neck, I don't know if I want to go single or some sort of humbucking or rail.

For the bridge, I have an unused Invader, and an unused "First Original Trembucker" - can't think of the part number, but it was drilled for direct mount, so it will need some work. I'm open to all ideas, but would like to avoid stuff I already have.

But if you had something that worked really good, I'm all ears.

I have axes already loaded with:
    Super Distortion
    JB A5, JB A2
    X2N
    CC, C5, Custom
    Duncan Distortion
    Super 3
    Jackson J90C, J80C, J50C
    EMGs (Not really looking at going active on this one).

Thanks.

It's a little pricey, but I thought that a Custom Shop Invader single coil could be cool with a regular Invader in an HS axe.

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

For wiring, I'd also like to try a simple toggle, that would leave the inside coil of the bridge humbucker on all the time, and then you'd toggle back and forth between the bridge's other coil, and the neck coil. If you use a 3-way, there's probably something else that could be done.

I'll "doodle" up a couple things.

Comment

If it were me with what you have, I’d put the original trembucker in there with a Classic Stack Plus in the neck. A 3-way blade switch with 500k volume and 250k tone/.022uf cap. simple and no frills. Bonus it’s different from anything you have.

Comment

For the neck, try a Hot Rails. Add a switch to put it in parallel for cleaner sounds.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Single coil size humbuckers are pretty cool for that set up. You basically have 3 groups of choices imo. You can go for stratty sounding like Cool Rails/Dmz Cruiser, or gritty sounding like JB Jr/Red Devil/edit: that lil demon, or fat warm and liquid like the Hot Rails. You could also go for a stack if you wanted closer to a stratty sound in the neck. Not really any point for a true single coil for this set up imo.
          Last edited by Clint 55; 02-14-2022, 04:54 AM.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

I see you're more of a hot pickup guy, so maybe Black Winter bridge w/ Hot Rails neck?

Comment

Great ideas.

FYI I found a single sized Screamin Demon neck pickup in my box of stuff. Leads will need to be extended.

I have a real SD and a DD Hot Rails, but both are the bridge version.

Ouch on the single coil sized Invader price. I'll keep an eye for a used one if I go that route.

I do have a Jackson three way switch from a Charvel 550XL that I upgraded to a Mega 5 way.

Comment

A bridge Hot Rails could work in the neck if it were wired in parallel only.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Oooo, a Lil Screamin Demon in the neck would be sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    Oooo, a Lil Screamin Demon in the neck would be sweet.
                    I have a full size in the neck of my MIJ Charvel San Dimas and it sounds very good in the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post

I have a full size in the neck of my MIJ Charvel San Dimas and it sounds very good in the neck.
                      Yes it does. I have a HH pickguard with it in both spots. It's a great setup.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        It's a little pricey, but I thought that a Custom Shop Invader single coil could be cool with a regular Invader in an HS axe.

The Seymour Duncan Custom Shop has been creating custom guitar pickups since 1976. If you dream it, we can build it.

For wiring, I'd also like to try a simple toggle, that would leave the inside coil of the bridge humbucker on all the time, and then you'd toggle back and forth between the bridge's other coil, and the neck coil. If you use a 3-way, there's probably something else that could be done.

I'll "doodle" up a couple things.
                        Sorry, I'm back on this project. I wish the C$ single coil Invader wasn't so much.

I've decided to go with the Invader in the bridge. It's an old BJ version and just looks cool in there. I last played an Invader 30 years ago? It's been too long.

I have a DPDT push-pull for the tone control to do series and parallel with the Invader.

Going to use the three way switch to keep that simple.

Questions:

Would you use a bass cut or a regular tone (treble cut)? I was thinking a bass cut might be more useful with an Invader?

Still undecided about the neck pickup. I just can't go for the C$ Invader single. Just too much but it would look great. I'm still thinking of using my Screamin Demon Jr. neck. I also have a 1/4 lb'er I could use. I also have a Fender PV59, and a 6K GFS with A2 rods or other vintage singles if that sounds like a better idea. They might not play with the Invader in series, but maybe they'd get along with it in parallel?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          For the neck, try a Hot Rails. Add a switch to put it in parallel for cleaner sounds.
                          This is what I'd do.

But, I'd personally use a super switch so that I could also use coils from both pickups. You can experiment with which combinations sound best.

When they were putting middle pickups in guitars, I don't think super switches were a thing. I think a two HB guitar + super switch is the best. All the tones and no middle pickup to get in the way or drag on the strings.

Comment

On my ESP LTD MH-1000HS I went with a Custom5 and a Little '59. Three way blade switch, CTS 500k pots, volume and tone, volume being a push-pull, so the Little '59 does series/parallel wiring.

Hard Rock / Metal machine for days.
                            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I just pussed out and bought the Chinese crapola single Invader.

I have a Seymour Duncan hot rails neck in a Charvel 550XL. I did a Super 5 way switch with this and the J-90C. It just hasn't excited me. yet.

I'm going to use my SD HR bridge in the bridge of an SSS strat. I'm limited with the choices in that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X