No announcement yet.

Pickups for an ES335 style guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And just to muddy the waters a bit—I have a gut feeling that a set of Saturday night Specials in a semi-hollow would be absolutely FANTASTIC.

Comment

Add the Pearly Gates set as an option. Those would be my first choice.

Comment

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
        And just to muddy the waters a bit—I have a gut feeling that a set of Saturday night Specials in a semi-hollow would be absolutely FANTASTIC.
        Have a set currently in my semi hollow Carvin AE 185 and they are in that guitar!!
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

You know....Depending on the general tone of the guitar itself, I would be default say 59's.

But I can't fault the Seth recommendations either.

PG's however, might be the solution to the boom and the super mid spike will keep it bright without the honk. Perhaps a tweak of the meds in the amp? Does it have a mid control?
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If your guitar is already "very bassy and honky", the 59 may not be the best choice. Seths could be good, but I'd go along with Aceman's suggestion for the Pearly Gates. It's really a great neck pup, I have it in a couple guitars. The bridge has a bit more oomph and warmth to it, but it is still a bright snappy pup. It has a nice even tonal range, not too bassy like the 59 and with a bit of extra sizzle in the highs. Controls very well with the guitar's volume pot. It would work very well through your Vintage Modern.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Pearly set could be epic in a bassy guitar.

For brightness and taming honk, a Jazz set might be a good match here too.
              Those could be the Duncans that are closest to the T-tops on vintage ES guitars.
              Entirely different character from the 57 Classics in your SG, yet comparable in output.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

For an ES-335 style guitar, i would look into : A2P, Seth Lovers, 59's or Antiquities.
                Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

Comment

As GuitarDoc said an A5 might not be the best bet. If you want to fight the honkiness I would not rely on a higher wound A2 pickup either.
                  I had a good sound with low wound A2 like BKN Stormy Mondays and Antiquities. But I settled with a pair of A4 pickups (OX4 low wound set).
                  But my semi started to shine when I used a nylon saddles abr. This smoothes the attack and gives a rich wooden tone like Creams / Clapton's RAH concert.
                  Last edited by hamerfan; 02-23-2022, 03:32 AM.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz II View Post
                    For an ES-335 style guitar, i would look into : A2P, Seth Lovers, 59's or Antiquities.
                    This is my 'short list', too.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If the guitar already had a mid bump to it, I might suggest Brobucker bridge Seth neck, or MJ Magic (Skinnerburst) set, or Queenbucker (Magellan) set

Comment

Remember, it isn't a real 335, it is a Harley Benton, so spending Custom Shop $$ might not be the best investment.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Remember, it isn't a real 335, it is a Harley Benton, so spending Custom Shop $$ might not be the best investment.
                          FWIW I've put the same pickups in my $600 LP Studio. Whatever gets it done.

Comment

I didn't get lucky wit '59 set in my Epi Dot (dunno if it is similar tone wise as your Harley Benton): too bright in the bridge, too boomy in the neck. I ended up with A2P bridge and Jazz neck.

Comment

Working...
                            X