Early Hendrix tone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Hendrix tone ?

I just got the Jimi Hendrix ''Live at BBC'' CD.
    LOVE his tone he got there.
    It does not even sound like a Strat ! (???)

I currently have some Squire set in my partscastter Strat.
    You know, (too...) high out put ceramic ones with those thick metal baseplates glued under it.
    I want some alnico units, to get much closer to those BBC recordings.

Any Suggestions ?

Formerly known as; SirJackdeFuzz (7400+ posts)

I wouldn't focus too much on pickups...

Any low output Strat set with AlNiCo rods should do the job - or even your original pickups stuffed with AlNiCo rods, if they accept such a mod.

What makes the Hendrix sound is a series of things like the reverse angled bridge PU, the strings, amps and effects but also traditionally unseen parameters like... cable capacitance.

A long coily cord will soften the tone of any Strat thanks to stray capacitance. Another long coily cord after a Fuzz Face circuitry will become no less than an external EQ for the fuzz... I've devoted a whole thread to this question here: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/do...-tests.449103/

And, good news: cumbersome curly cables can be mimiced by cheap low value capacitors between hot and ground. See the 3rd paragraph from the bottom here: http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Al...leandSound.htm

If you use a set of passive "hot" pickups in order to get more warmth from a Strat, added inductance will darken the tone in the same way than stray capacitance but the loudness of the PU's won't be no more adapted to a good Hendrixy Fuzz Face tone.

FWIW. Good luck in your tone quest. :-)
    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
      I wouldn't focus too much on pickups...

Any low output Strat set with AlNiCo rods should do the job - or even your original pickups stuffed with AlNiCo rods, if they accept such a mod.

What makes the Hendrix sound is a series of things like the reverse angled bridge PU, the strings, amps and effects but also traditionally unseen parameters like... cable capacitance.

A long coily cord will soften the tone of any Strat thanks to stray capacitance. Another long coily cord after a Fuzz Face circuitry will become no less than an external EQ for the fuzz... I've devoted a whole thread to this question here: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/do...-tests.449103/

And, good news: cumbersome curly cables can be mimiced by cheap low value capacitors between hot and ground. See the 3rd paragraph from the bottom here: http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Al...leandSound.htm

If you use a set of passive "hot" pickups in order to get more warmth from a Strat, added inductance will darken the tone in the same way than stray capacitance but the loudness of the PU's won't be no more adapted to a good Hendrixy Fuzz Face tone.

FWIW. Good luck in your tone quest. :-)
      GREAT INFO . . . thank you very much !!!

Comment

You're welcome. Feel free to chime if I can help. :-)
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

the reverse bridge pup does change the tone a bit, but there are many other important things going on as freefrog said. low output alnico single coils->coily cord->good germanium fuzzface

Comment

Jimi used a Marshall JTM - 45 back then so a Fender Bassman type of tone would be a great foundation and starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              the reverse bridge pup does change the tone a bit, but there are many other important things going on as freefrog said. low output alnico single coils->coily cord->good germanium fuzzface
              The coily chord i have
              I also have a few fuzz units, incl. a decent (for the price) MXR Classic 108 & Throbak Fuzz Haze.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Jimi used a Marshall JTM - 45 back then so a Fender Bassman type of tone would be a great foundation and starting point.
                I have a modern era ''JTM-45-like'' amp, in the form of a 50W Vintage Modern, and a black face Bassman.

Comment

Sounds like you've got all the equipment you need. What year is the Bassman?
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

i have a bullet coily cable and it sounds good, not quite the same as the old crappy ones hendrix was using but im also not running big ass marshalls turned up loud

Comment

The Fender CS69 set is really good, haven't tried the SD Jimi set but I imagine they are top notch

Nailing Jimi's sound sells lots of gear lol
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Sorry fellas, but you need to be left handed to sound like Jimi.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          Sounds like you've got all the equipment you need. What year is the Bassman?
                          For 'my' Hendrix tone, i have a 1966 black face Bassman, and a 50W Marshall Vintage Modern (head)

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            i have a bullet coily cable and it sounds good, not quite the same as the old crappy ones hendrix was using but im also not running big ass marshalls turned up loud
                            . . . hahahahaha, fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                              The Fender CS69 set is really good, haven't tried the SD Jimi set but I imagine they are top notch

Nailing Jimi's sound sells lots of gear lol
                              Will deff look into both - thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X