Humbucker for grunge/alt rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pskorz View Post
    Yeah, I probably shouldn’t have said that so broadly and definitely. I just meant… you know how guys are always on a quest to get the SRV ‘87 tone or the Van Halen Women and children sound or something? That you could arguably narrow down to a single pickup and rig choice. But to encompass ALL 90s alt and grunge? That’s a pretty broad array of guitars and amps. So I was just trying to echo that a good classic pickup that can cover a broad array of styles nicely is the way to go.
    I agree, I was going to say something like that. Just choose a bridge humbucker that you like, but I think some of the defining factors of the choice would also be able to get some jangles in the middle and some nice strat-ish sounds out of the neck.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Sure you can...just use a lower output pickup, and boost it with a pedal if you need more power.
      Definitely. Start off with a low output pickup, then get a boost pedal to give it that Cobain with a JB or Super Distortion loaded Fender into a DS-1 and Twin sound, then another pedal to give it the Pearl Jam two guys playing a slew of vintage Gibsons and Fenders into a ton of different pedals and amps sound, then another pedal for the Jerry Cantrell G&L with a JB into a Bogner preamp pseudo-metal tone, another for the Josh Homme Super 2 in the neck position into some goofy taped up pedals and amp rig...

For grunge/alternative rock sounds, I'd recommend putting any pickup into the guitar, getting a few drive and fuzz pedals, a wah, an amp you like the sound of, then turn knobs until it sounds good.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
      X