P90-S-P90 wiring suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P90-S-P90 wiring suggestions

Picked up a new set of P90 Phat Cats, and will be replacing bridge and neck humbuckers in a super strat with HSH configuration.

Existing configuration is 1 volume and 1 tone, and 5-position Fender super switch (1=Bridge, 2=Bridge Tap + Middle, 3= bridge tap + neck tap, 4=middle + neck tap, 5=neck). Can replace super switch with standard Fender 5 position switch. Not possible to add a standalone toggle, but open to replacing either pot with push-pull.

New hardware will be: Bridge pup is P90, Neck pup is P90 (RWRP), Middle pup is SD Custom Flat Strat SSL-6 Single-Coil.

First thought on configuration is 1=Bridge, 2=Bridge+Neck, 3=Neck, 4=Bridge+Mid 5=Mid+Neck.

Looking for help on wiring diagram, and any other recommendations on switch/pickup configurations.

Thanks!

With your config essentially going to be changed into something like an SSS config, there's no real need for a push-pull/toggle unless you have plans to run some config in series.

Comment

Originally posted by nsiegel27 View Post
      First thought on configuration is 1=Bridge, 2=Bridge+Neck, 3=Neck, 4=Bridge+Mid 5=Mid+Neck.
      If you're thinking of doing that, I think I'd approach it like this: Use a standard 3-way for the N/B, and then use a push-pull to add the middle at any time. That would allow the "all 3" combination, which could be cool.

Comment

If you want those five basic combinations, standard Strat as it happens, then a regular 5-way blade will do fine. Just follow standard Strat wiring diagrams.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
          If you want those five basic combinations, standard Strat as it happens, then a regular 5-way blade will do fine. Just follow standard Strat wiring diagrams.
          But he did mention that he wanted the "both P-90", (N/B), combo. Standard Strat 5-way won't do that. Strat, with blend pot, would, however.

Comment

I think there is a Megaswitch that can do that combo in the middle position.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

But he did mention that he wanted the "both P-90", (N/B), combo. Standard Strat 5-way won't do that. Strat, with blend pot, would, however.
              OP said:

So yeah, my bad. But if he swaps the middle and neck connections over he'll get:

P1 bridge
              P2 bridge plus neck
              P3 neck
              P4 neck plus middle
              P5 middle

Otherwise, yes, it's a five-way superswitch or a blender or a push-pull to activate the middle.

Last edited by ThreeChordWonder; 02-24-2022, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

OP said:

So yeah, my bad. But if he swaps the middle and neck connections over he'll get:

P1 bridge
                P2 bridge plus neck
                P3 neck
                P4 neck plus middle
                P5 middle

Otherwise, yes, it's a five-way superswitch or a blender or a push-pull to activate the middle.

Yup. That works.

Comment

Thanks for suggestions.

Not sure I fully understand how to add the middle pup with push-pull and three way switch... Haven't found a wiring diagram for this (at least not yet).

So, leaning heavily to 5-way switch since it gets N/B.

P1 bridge
                  P2 bridge plus neck
                  P3 neck
                  P4 neck plus middle
                  P5 middle

Comment

Originally posted by nsiegel27 View Post
                    Thanks for suggestions.

Not sure I fully understand how to add the middle pup with push-pull and three way switch... Haven't found a wiring diagram for this (at least not yet).

So, leaning heavily to 5-way switch since it gets N/B.

P1 bridge
                    P2 bridge plus neck
                    P3 neck
                    P4 neck plus middle
                    P5 middle
                    To do that, just use any standard Stratocaster wiring diagram, but flip the connections of the neck & middle pups on the 5-way.

Comment

Thanks for the reply; no issues swapping neck and middle pups on 5-way.

I'm not clear on how wire the push-pull to add middle pickup for 3-way switch set up as B, B+N, N.

Comment

Like this. The middle pup "hot" wire goes to the middle lug. The upper lug simply goes to the "output" lug of the 3-way, or to the input of the volume pot. They're both the same connection. The 3-way would be wired like a Telecaster but with the neck and bridge wired as the two pups of a Tele.

Make sense? If not, I can do the full monty tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	middle_push-pull.png
Views:	132
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	6154274

Comment

Easy peasy.... 2 Lindy Fralin P90's on each side of a rw/rp Dimarzio SDS-1,, Master Tone w/.007 cap, Master Volume, & the middle control is a lovely blender pot (CTS EP4185/6),, & it's the final pickguard in my beloved Strat with '63/64 all original neck...
                          The real hoot is a left volume knob to properly display where the reverse taper blender is~ AND, it quacks!! Do it!!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210418-163728_Gallery.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	6154281

Comment

I have SSS tele with standard 3 way switch and additions: push pulled vol pot to blend middle pickup to any switch position and push pulled tone pot for middle pickup only. But strat has 3 knobs/pots. You can use one as a blender. I've been wondering about Phat Cat set with middle pickup myself, albeit Twangbanger.

Comment

Working...
                            X