Push-pull Pot drawing Convention on Diagrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Push-pull Pot drawing Convention on Diagrams

I'm very new to wiring up guitars, and I wanted to confirm the convention used on the wiring diagrams for push-pull pots: the contacts in the "pull" direction are always the ones closest to the body. Since tone pots are drawn rotated 180° to face the volume pots, I just wanted to confirm the orientation of the contacts also rotate. Source diagrams: 2 Hum / 2 Vol / 2 Tone / Split

Yes, that should be the case.

Comment

Convention seems to be the terminals connected when the knob is pulled are depicted closest to the depiction of the pot.

This is because the shaft that operates both the pot and the switch goes through the middle of the pot. The shaft points outwards out of the body of the guitar. So when you pull the knob you are moving the moving contacts inside the switch towards, not away from, the pot part.

On my diagrams, I have taken to labeling the contacts to try and avoid confusion.

Comment

If you can read a drawing, you can tell just by looking at which wires are on which lugs.

Comment

^ I started my drafting career with drawings done in first angle projection. You know, where the left end is drawn on the right and the top view is drawn on the bottom...

Comment

The pull direction makes sense judging by the how the wires are connected. The rotated pot images just threw me off a little. I know these are drawn close to how you might position the components and to avoid complex routing of the wire paths.

Comment

Working...
            X