‘59 vs Little ‘59

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘59 vs Little ‘59

As always, please refer me to another thread if i missed it, but…

I’ve just ponied up for a Little ‘59 neck pickup, and kinda wondering what i’m in for. How does it compare to the full-size ‘59? Warmth, depth, sweetness, output? i know that a single-coil size pickup will never be exactly the same as a full humbucker, but i’m curious about how close i’m going to get. Thank you all for your thoughts!

There's definitely a similar vibe. I feel like the full sized one has maybe a bit less in the mids . . . something I only really notice when playing clean. With gain up, they sound pretty much identical to me.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

There are, indeed, more mids in the Little 59. But it 'feels' the same. Both are great, though.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you! I’m less worried about losing a bit of lows and mids, as this guitar (27-fret Xiphos) has the “neck” pickup pushed toward the middle position - the high mids will be a bit more prominent. i’m going with the Black Winter bridge, so i’m hoping for a similar midrange response with a lower output.

Comment

Originally posted by benny6669 View Post
          Thank you! I’m less worried about losing a bit of lows and mids, as this guitar (27-fret Xiphos) has the “neck” pickup pushed toward the middle position - the high mids will be a bit more prominent. i’m going with the Black Winter bridge, so i’m hoping for a similar midrange response with a lower output.
          This actually sounds like a great combo! Please come back and let us know how this project works out.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i will! The Black Winter is on backorder for now, so might be a bit, but i’m thinking i might record a quick before and after. i’ll let you know how they go!

Comment

I agree with what's been said. The Little 59 has a warmer tone, maybe less scooped (more mids) and possibly less highs than the full sized version. IMO the difference is perhaps greater than has been mentioned.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
              X