banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any educated guesses as to which SD Humbucker this is? ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any educated guesses as to which SD Humbucker this is? ...

I picked up this pickup a little while back and have tried to look online and figure out what model it might be, as well as
    age/period. It's got the 'small logo' on the back, no logo on the front (don't think it ever did), 4 wire w/ bare wire,
    and output is around 7.23k.
    Well, it read 7.23k when I first measured it, then I measure it in the utility room where I was
    working on a guitar (hot...furnace) and it read 7.4k.
    So if readings should be taken at around 70F, I'd say the 7.23k is probably more accurate.
    It has 'short legs', I think. They are about 1/2 inch long.
    I haven't 'heard it' yet, but am looking forward to putting it in the right guitar in the right position.
    I'm guessing maybe it's a neck PU from the output and long lead, (?) but I'm guessing, really.
    It looks as though there was a sticker to the right side (of the back, where it often is) from some residue that
    can be seen there.
    Other than that, I have no info on it that I can think of.
    I spent quite a bit of time trying to find info on how to date the SD humbuckers,
    but found nothing too exacting.
    Any ideas? Thanks.

If it never had a logo, I would guess 59 neck. Otherwise I would guess Pearly Gates neck that had the logo wiped. The DCR is within 5% of both of those, and almost spot on for the Pearly neck. The logo size on the baseplate would only hint at the possible range of years when it was made.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      If it never had a logo, I would guess 59 neck. Otherwise I would guess Pearly Gates neck that had the logo wiped. The DCR is within 5% of both of those, and almost spot on for the Pearly neck. The logo size on the baseplate would only hint at the possible range of years when it was made.
      Thanks. That's basically what I was guessing, based mostly on the DCR. But I don't know much about SD pickups, other than the Seth Lover pair I have and love. Do you have any idea of age, based on the small logo and any other factors?

Comment

Seeing what kind of magnet is in it will narrow it down as well. I’m not good with telling them apart but others here are.

Comment

I was about to comment that all the Pearly Gates I see online have the extra row of indented circles on the back plate, unlike mine. But I did find one where the seller claimed it to be from the 80s that looks a lot like mine. He seems to sell a ton of gibson and sd et al, pickups, so he seems knowledgeable. It's a bridge, so the dcr was more like 8k. Besides having the printed logo on the front, it also has the 'square hole w/ slight circle around it' feature on the front. Mine is just a square hole. These are the only differences, but they are very similar, and like you say, the dcr is pretty spot on for the pearly gates. I'm thinking mine might be a PG neck. He also sold a PG of similar ilk w/ no 'front/ink printed' logo. It had a cover at one time. I wonder if the covered SD's sometimes don't get the labeling on the front.(?) Here's the front and back of the pickup he sold. ... Sorry to be so wordy and overly detailed. Just trying to pin it down.

Comment

A jazz neck would be my 2nd guess. Probably a PG neck though
            Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Not 100% sure, but I think Duncans that come with covers do not have the logo on their bobbins.
              Logo bobbins aren't ever used on the 59 model (except the 7-string version, I guess).

If it's an 80s Pearly Gates neck, they weren't putting logos on the bobbins yet back then.
              I believe that only started sometime in the early 2000s. But I could be wrong.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                Not 100% sure, but I think Duncans that come with covers do not have the logo on their bobbins.
                Logo bobbins aren't ever used on the 59 model (except the 7-string version, I guess).

If it's an 80s Pearly Gates neck, they weren't putting logos on the bobbins yet back then.
                I believe that only started sometime in the early 2000s. But I could be wrong.
                "Logo Bobbins"... Wasn't he in Lord of the Rings or something? Lol. No, but thanks for the input. We're narrowing it down, I think.

Comment

Another 2 cents is I tend to see more Pearlies with 4-conductor than 59s.

Comment

Without knowing the magnet, it could be any of the following:

Pearly Gates neck
                    Alnico II Pro neck
                    '59 Model neck
                    Jazz neck

Knowing the magnet will cut that list by 50%.

Comment

there should be a sharpie marking on the magnet, you can probably see if it you carefully peel back the black cloth tape. blue = a2, black = a5

and those look like long legs to me. also a better pic of the wire through the square hole in the top might help

Comment

They certainly look like long legs to me too. That might make me lean towards some sort of OEM 59.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Another 2 cents is I tend to see more Pearlies with 4-conductor than 59s.
                          Yah, good call. I'd say that makes it a lot less likely to be a 59N 'cause 4-conductor ones need to be special ordered.
                          Although the OEM 59Ns they made for Fender are 4-wire. But those have logos; at least mine does.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            there should be a sharpie marking on the magnet, you can probably see if it you carefully peel back the black cloth tape. blue = a2, black = a5

and those look like long legs to me. also a better pic of the wire through the square hole in the top might help
                            Here are a few more pics. I don't know what constitutes 'long legs', other than Charlize Theron, or maybe Gal Gadot, but these are right at 1/2 inch long.
                            I took a photo of the square hole on top, sort of down into it, as requested by one of you (very appreciated) guys. Not sure what light that might shed, but there it is.
                            I kind of hate to pull the tape/wrap away from the pickup. It's in nice shape with no tears or separation, so I kind of hate to 'f' with it.
                            Is there any other way of figuring what type of magnet it is?

Anyone know a somewhat well documented timeline to the changes in the humbuckers over the years? Possibly pointing to late '80s on this one? Guessing.
                            Last edited by pickaxe; 03-02-2022, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Okay, had to create another comment. Editing tool would not let me add/change a certain photo. Said "you do not have permission." It's my post! lol. Anyway, here's that photo
                              with the square hole....hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X