No announcement yet.

Has anyone modified a Super Distortion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone modified a Super Distortion?

I'm wondering if anyone here has ever tinkered with a Dimarzio Super Distortion? It's such an iconic pickup, I figure some people have maybe tried some tweaks?

I'm mainly curious if anyone has tried it with Alnico 5 or 2 mags, or even done the Dimarzio "air" mod to one, and how it would sound.

I put a nickle silver steel baseplate on mine. The bass is punchier, treble sharper, and midrange is slightly attenuated.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
      I put a nickle silver steel baseplate on mine. The bass is punchier, treble sharper, and midrange is slightly attenuated.
      Interesting. Probably sounds really ballsy and punchy. I'm actually hoping to see if it's possible to somewhat tame it, maybe the opposite of this in a way, and add some more airiness to it to counterbalance the ceramic magnet.

Comment

An A5 would be a definite improvement imo.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I once was going to try different magnets on one but the problem is the super D uses magnats that are very different in size than usual bars. They are much thicker and not as wide.

Comment

Rumor has it that Eddie Van Halen put an Alnico 2 in a Super Distortion and that was the pickup in the Bumblebee guitar. Who knows which if any songs it was ever used on though...
            Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
            Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
            Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
            Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

I tried many mods with the Super Distortion. Most of them didn't work (tonally) but then again, I'm not a fan of DMZ. Also, many Dimarzio's have their magnets and bobbins epoxied to the baseplate (in my experience).

Comment

I never have - but I'm sure some of you maniacs have done all sorts of twisted experiments.

Silver nickel baseplate you say ?
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I have not and I will not. IIRC, the original Super Distortions used a nickel/silver baseplate. It wasn't until the 80's (maybe?) that it switched to brass.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    I have not and I will not. IIRC, the original Super Distortions used a nickel/silver baseplate. It wasn't until the 80's (maybe?) that it switched to brass.
                    The original X2N had a nickel/silver baseplate. I haven't seen a Super Distortion with anything other than a brass baseplate.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                      I tried many mods with the Super Distortion. Most of them didn't work (tonally) but then again, I'm not a fan of DMZ. Also, many Dimarzio's have their magnets and bobbins epoxied to the baseplate (in my experience).
                      Acetone works wonders, plus it will polish your brass. I've never tried it on a pickup though.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                        It is easy to remove the magnets because the glue is very brittle. Just run an XACTO blade around the perimeter of the magnet to break the bond. Then just slide the blade under the end of the magnet and pry it off. I have seen where people have tried to grab a hold with a pliers or pry it off with a screwdriver only to destroy the magnet.

Comment

I put a regular A5 magnet into one a few years ago. It sounded weaker and brighter and I hated it.
                          I was hoping for more clarity and now I get that by lowering the whole pickup and raising all the pole pieces.
                          And idsnowdog is right: it was very easy to pop the original magnet loose by prying with a carpet knife blade.

Comment

Working...
                          X