banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard is it to remove the cover from a Duncan covered pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hard is it to remove the cover from a Duncan covered pickup?

I want to have a covered JB in a guitar to match the guitar's aesthetic, but I want to do a magnet swap before I install it. So should I:

1) Buy a covered JB, remove the cover, swap the mags, reinstall the cover, then install the pickup

or...

2) Buy an uncovered JB, buy a separate cover, swap the mags, install the cover, then install the pickup

Which is the smarter course of action?

It's easy to remove a cover. There are two solder joints on the sides that you can heat up to remove the solder. Once the cover is removed you can remove the polepieces and unscrew the four small screws that hold the coils to the baseplate. Then you just pry the magnet loose and replace it.

Comment

May people also re-pot the pickup when replacing the cover.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's sometimes easier to use a Dremel saw to cut the solder joint to remove the cover.
        Warning: This is a job best left to experienced and competent repair guys.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

If you don't have a good soldering iron it is a pita.

With a good powerful iron (and maybe careful use of a razor blade) it doesn't have to be a difficult job.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            It's sometimes easier to use a Dremel saw to cut the solder joint to remove the cover.
            Warning: This is a job best left to experienced and competent repair guys.
            Stewmac uses a razor blade. No need for an entire Dremel. Just get a sharp blade.
            JC
            -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
            -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
            -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
            -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
            -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
            -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Thank you for the responses guys!

I'm good with a soldering iron; wired up more pickups than I can remember, though I've never run across this particular situation. I just had visions of removing the two solder points on the cover then discovering that the whole thing was filled with wax and that the cover was never coming off unless I found a way to heat the entire thing enough to get the wax to soften. Nightmare scenario.

I actually have this little rubber bulb with a heat resistant nylon tip that will suck up melted solder, very handy, so should be no problem slurping up the solder on those two points holding the cover on.

Now I just have to find a covered JB. I have to say, I've been looking around on Reverb as I've heard about it for so long as this great new marketplace for gear, and that place blows. Nothing costing anything less than you can find in online stores like Sweetwater or AMS, and a ton of people trying to scam everybody selling Harley Bentons and Fireflys for way more than they cost brand new. Pisses me off.

Oh, one more question. Are all Duncan covered humbuckers Trembuckers? Or do I have to be on the watch about that too? Because I've seen some auctions on ebay for some covered JBs and they were labeled as SH-4 buckers, not TB-4s (in both the description and on the actual pickup in the pics).
              Last edited by Mind Riot; 03-08-2022, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Trembuckers can be covered (have their own unique polespacing)
                Non-Trembuckers (SH humbuckers) can be covered, too (have a more standarized polespacing).

You will recognize, guaranteed, a trembucker if the 'feet' have 3 screw holes instead of one. That's the tell-tale sign of trembuckers, always.

Comment

Since you don't already own them, would it be possible to just order it as a shop floor custom, with the mags you want, already installed?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    Since you don't already own them, would it be possible to just order it as a shop floor custom, with the mags you want, already installed?
                    This would be the way to do it. It might take slightly longer, but you get exactly what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                      Trembuckers can be covered (have their own unique polespacing)
                      Non-Trembuckers (SH humbuckers) can be covered, too (have a more standarized polespacing).

You will recognize, guaranteed, a trembucker if the 'feet' have 3 screw holes instead of one. That's the tell-tale sign of trembuckers, always.
                      Ah ha, thank you very much, that little bit of info should serve me well in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

This would be the way to do it. It might take slightly longer, but you get exactly what you want.
                        Does it cost more?

Comment

Originally posted by Mind Riot View Post

Does it cost more?
                          Not much, certainly it shouldn't be as much as a Custom Shop pickup. It does have to be ordered through an authorized SD dealer, though.

Comment

i always use a razor blade, but you do have to be careful and if you arent comfortable with doing it, then i wouldnt. the shop floor custom option is a good one

Comment

Working...
                            X