Magnet swapping for Sh-16 (59/Custom) Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet swapping for Sh-16 (59/Custom) Hybrid

Long time Custom fan, I seem to love an UOA5 or A8 best.

Finally scored one of these with a Seth Lover neck (amazing pup).

In my LP at the moment with the Seth in the neck. Not sure I am digging it that much. Kind of reminds me of a Fred - almost single coilish treble emphasized tone. Swapped in an A8 - not liking that. Highs are still too much, but dig the low end boost. All out of of UOA5s...which had become my go to magnet. I have some rough and polished A4s and A2s. Have a A6 on the way for grins. Never liked A3 in the bridge, does wonders in the neck. Wondering if anyone has some recommendations as my searches seems to show people swapping for A2.

I want it to sound more like a full humbucker but maybe I just need to accept that asymmetrical winds are not for me. Was really hoping to put the hybrid in a HSS setup since the custom coil would balance well in position 2.

I have a Slash Bridge with an UOA5 I am going to test in the meantime. Also tried a Perpetual Burn in this LP that sounded great. I am not a big A5 or Ceramic fan - and the UOA5 has been the 'best of both worlds' magnet so far for me. Maybe after testing the Slash I can swipe the magnet out of it. Curious if a roughcast A2 maybe what I am looking for.

Notables: 500k pots, 50s wiring style, neck has a .47 cap in line ( I do this now on most of my neck). buckers). Aluminum tail piece, still prefer zinc on my V and SG.

2 or 6 would fill it out more. You could try RCA2. It would be a step in the right direction compared to A5.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

A6 is your ticket for A5 feel with smoother highs. Likely to bring the Hybrid closer to what you want.

Assuming you'll be ordering more UA5s, try one in the Perpetual Burn. You won't be sorry.

Slash bridge is sweet in a Les Paul, as long as you don't need split or parallel wiring.

If your neck seems thin and anemic, try bypassing that inline cap.
      Seths don't need it unless the guitar is unusually boomy (or you're playing with a metric ton of gain).
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        2 or 6 would fill it out more. You could try RCA2. It would be a step in the right direction compared to A5.
        I have been wanting to experiment with A6 and wondered if the hybrid would be a great platform. Do you have experience with A6 in other winds? I have a set of Burstbuckers (3 and a 1) that I wonder would rip with A6.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          A6 is your ticket for A5 feel with smoother highs. Likely to bring the Hybrid closer to what you want.

Assuming you'll be ordering more UA5s, try one in the Perpetual Burn. You won't be sorry.

Slash bridge is sweet in a Les Paul, as long as you don't need split or parallel wiring.

Seths don't need it unless the guitar is unusually boomy (or you're playing with a metric ton of gain).
          Already thought of a UA5 in the PB...was thinking it could be the ultimate pickup for me as I have found the Custom a bit much for me at times and the JB is a pickup I have a love/hate relationship with. The PB is very unique in the way it reacts. Kind of reminds me of a Slash where it can take so much dirt and retain clarity and feel. My lil bro already makes fun of me regarding UA5 as my beloved. His #1 is an ESP Viper with 59N and Custom5. He wont let me swap magnets for him even though he loves the tone and feel of my A3/A8 or Ceramic or dual UA5 set. Admittedly I am way too eagar to modify guitars to taste and he is one who doesnt want to change anything. So weird!

Funny thing, my Edwards LP has the boomiest neck slot ever. The Seth is pure heaven there. Full and bright, no mud. I imagine taking off the cap will bring the boom but maybe I should try it. My gain knob varies but I tend to favor Diezel and JCM800 for high gain and JTM45 for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by krovatron View Post
            I have been wanting to experiment with A6 and wondered if the hybrid would be a great platform. Do you have experience with A6 in other winds? I have a set of Burstbuckers (3 and a 1) that I wonder would rip with A6.
            I have tried A6 in other winds. It would be a good choice here because it has A5 feel like eclecticsynergy said but it has a flatter top. It would likely dull down the treble emphasized tone.

I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Just put a UA5 and trem cover on the PB and see what it will do. Back in the LP it goes.

Not sure if the Slash changed as much with the UA5....curious what A6 would do in it.

Have A6 and UA5 for the SH16.

Curious if I abandon bridge use and use the SH16 in the neck of my basswood Floyd guitar tuned to C. What magnet to go in the neck spot with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge? Thinking of starting back to A5 but out of habit put A3 in necks. Not sure how that would tonally match.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                I have tried A6 in other winds. It would be a good choice here because it has A5 feel like eclecticsynergy said but it has a flatter top. It would likely dull down the treble emphasized tone.
                What winds have you enjoyed A6 in?

Comment

My Fralin mini humbuckers and my Ant JB. It's a good mag, works well in neck or bridge. It's like A5 but with a bit of a rounded top and a bit of soft low mids.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by krovatron View Post

What winds have you enjoyed A6 in?
                    I use it in a 59B and a PGB.

Edit: try and take out the inline cap. It removes maybe too much bass, but with the SL there should no mud problem. With a muddy A5 neck humbucker you can also put the cap between the red and white wire, if its a 4 conductor.
                    Last edited by hamerfan; 03-15-2022, 05:19 AM.
                    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
                    X