fixing stripped screw holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fixing stripped screw holes

I bought a TB14 off of ebay, and the screw holes were widened, and screws provided but they don't take. Holes are stripped. F'ng pissed off right now.

Anyways, I can get a couple of nuts but need to know the size for your standard pickup screws....

Thanks

A better solution is to replace the baseplate instead of cobbling something together. https://www.mojotone.com/guitar-part...tes-and-frames

Comment

I have run into this problem before. If your plates look like the one below with a slight bowl where the screws go in, put it on a metal surface, I used the flat of my vice clamp. Gently tap on the screwholes with a hammer and the bowl shape will close up enough for the screws to bite again.

Last edited by Securb; 03-12-2022, 07:00 PM.

Comment

^^^ This is accepted practice in many machine and fabrication shops. It's called PEENING. ^^^
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I have run into this problem before. If your plates look like the one below with a slight bowl where the screws go in, put it on a metal surface, I used the flat of my vice clamp. Gently tap on the screwholes with a hammer and the bowl shape will close up enough for the screws to bite again.

Good tip. I’m glad I clicked on this thread. I usually just find a wider machine screw to use.

Comment

You can also rethread the hole with a tap & die set and then use a larger screw but there's no guarantee it will hold against spring tension and neither will a nut. So I usually just start fresh with a new baseplate.

Comment

I've just superglued a bolt of the correct size under the holes on the pickup legs . . . works fine and has had no problems holding for years. Go to home depot with your pickup mounting screw and keep trying bolts until you find one that catches just right.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

^^^ Ace has an excellent selection of fasteners if you don't like the big box stores. ^^^
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by SF audio View Post
                  I bought a TB14 off of ebay, and the screw holes were widened, and screws provided but they don't take. Holes are stripped. F'ng pissed off right now.

Anyways, I can get a couple of nuts but need to know the size for your standard pickup screws....

Thanks
                  A few solutions I've used.

Tap n Die set from Harbor Freight is cheap. You will use it many times through your life. Install new threads in the hole and use slightly larger screws.

Solder a small nut over the hole. Usually requires buying screw/nut set from HD or wherever. I bought a guitar with some direct mount SD pickups and I had to do this so I could use them in another guitar.

Contact seller for partial refund or return.

Comment

Peening works great. Ive done this many times

Soldering or crazy gluing a nut works well too.

A new base plate is an idea, but aren't SD trembucker plates hard to come by these days?

Comment

Working...
                    X