Pickup Identification. Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Identification. Help needed

I have a bit of a mystery I'm hoping to solve. I have this SD Pickup in a guitar that I acquired in 1994. The guitar is a 1976. I think I pinned down the time frame (83-88) from a post I read regarding the size of the logo, that it says "Seymour Duncan Pickups" and not just "Seymour Duncan", and lack of "made in USA" however I would love to know what model this pickup is. I love it and would like to put one in another guitar I have. It measures 11K. I have checked the site and can not seem to make a match that makes sense as the only pickups in that range were not made in 83-88. If there was a sticker with the model it was long gone before i got it. The cable is a black rubber type and not metal braided...might be clue. Anyways any Help is appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by TrabucoJoe; 03-16-2022, 07:26 PM.

Looks heavily modified. My guess is someone took a Custom or a 59 and made a 59/Custom hybrid and put it back under the cover. That's the only humbucker that would read 11k that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Looks heavily modified. My guess is someone took a Custom or a 59 and made a 59/Custom hybrid and put it back under the cover. That's the only humbucker that would read 11k that I know of.
      Thanks! yeah I thought of the 59/Custom hybrid but they did not make that pickup back then. HMMM...the mystery goes on!.

Comment

Test each coil with your multi-meter. If the two coils don't match then someone made a hybrid because the majority of pickups SD sells have symmetrical coils. The value of each coil would also steer you towards what kind of a hybrid it is. Half a PG+half a Demon = ?, Half a JB+half a 59 = ?, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
          Test each coil with your multi-meter. If the two coils don't match then someone made a hybrid because the majority of pickups SD sells have symmetrical coils. The value of each coil would also steer you towards what kind of a hybrid it is. Half a PG+half a Demon = ?, Half a JB+half a 59 = ?, etc.
          Thanks good tip! I just measured the coils separately and they both measure the exact same at 5.66 K. So I guess we can assume it is not some customized hybrid of any sorts. So what could it be?

Comment

the custom shop wound one offs so could be something like that or it maybe could be a sh7 maybe? the seymourizer ii (which became the sh6n) mine reads around 12k but its newer.

that covers solder joints are not from the factory, thats for sure

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              the custom shop wound one offs so could be something like that or it maybe could be a sh7 maybe? the seymourizer ii (which became the sh6n) mine reads around 12k but its newer.

Well the picture looks worse than it actually is...most of that goop around and on top of the solder is actually just wax. I personally (for reasons unknown) many years ago went on a potting pickup binge. The pickup was already potted before I re-potted it. HAHA
              Last edited by TrabucoJoe; 03-17-2022, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

I think you may be onto something. I found this link with a picture and description of the Seymourizer II. It looks and sounds exactly like that. A bit off on the measurement but I think this just may be it. Maybe just an early version that varied a little. Funny but the author of the article says even though the Seymourizer II eventually became the neck partner of the SH6 that he actually liked it better in the bridge than the neck which is where I'm using it.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/l...h7-and-the-sh9
                Last edited by TrabucoJoe; 03-17-2022, 01:53 PM.

Comment

The SH7 Seymourizer II was a bridge pickup when it was first introduced.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    The SH7 Seymourizer II was a bridge pickup when it was first introduced.
                    OK...that makes a lot of sense to me.

Comment

My old SH-7 reads 12.65K.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

My pre 80ies Seymourizer ll reads 12.2k
                        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Could it be something like a SD Benedetto A-6? This blog post says they were/are 11K

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/l...or-jazz-guitar
                          JC
                          -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                          -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                          -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                          -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                          -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                          -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post
                            Could it be something like a SD Benedetto A-6? This blog post says they were/are 11K

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/l...or-jazz-guitar
                            That's true (and that's my blog post...I forgot about it!)
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Benedetto didn't come out until 2000

Comment

Working...
                              X