banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question - surefire way to create a hum source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question - surefire way to create a hum source?

I don't have any flourescent lights in my home. I replaced the curly wurley CFLs the builder installed room by room with LEDs as the CFLs blew.

So what's a surefire way of creating a hum source to check my wiring is indeed hum canceling?

Install single coils and find an old EHX pedal or two.

Comment

How about an old CRT tv or monitor? Any dimmers in the house? How about a large motor like a washing machine? All of those induce noise of varying amounts depending on the age and design.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

A simple 120 VAC relay works pretty good. One of the big ones in a clear plastic housing with an octal base. Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SR501.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	6160287
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 03-24-2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Well, I'm not buying old pedals or trying to cart a washing machine around the house, and the last time I even saw a CRT TV was over a decade ago...

What about a small handheld floursecent light?

Comment

In all seriousness, the last time I got interference was when I left my cell phone on top of my amp. It got worse when I got noticicatons. But it doesn't happen every time.

Comment

Trying to check the guitars not the amp. My Marshall tube amp hums all on its own

Comment

Why not just buy a CFL, install it and hold the guitar up near it?

in my current house I don’t need to search it out, my singles buzz like crazy. So much so that I almost exclusively use stacks or Humbuckers now. I hope my new house is better than this one. (The last two places I lived were much better)
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                  I don't have any flourescent lights in my home. I replaced the curly wurley CFLs the builder installed room by room with LEDs as the CFLs blew.

So what's a surefire way of creating a hum source to check my wiring is indeed hum canceling?

the easiest way is to lay your guitar cable across a 110 volt power cable.

I use the line for my pedal board power module.

For interesting results, and a physics experiment, rotate the 2 leads from parallel to perpendicular and note the difference in hum.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                    What about a small handheld floursecent light?
                    That's not a bad idea. Probably better than the relay one that I use.

Comment

Working...
                    X