A2PS single coil, in middle pos. of Peavey Predator Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A2PS single coil, in middle pos. of Peavey Predator Plus

So, to be honest; the only SD pickup I've ever owned, was the Alnico 2 Pro for strat. I had it in the neck position of a very nice MIJ Stratocaster, about 15 years ago.

Now ; I got a Peavey Predator Plus (SSS) for VERY cheap, at our used-store . I've been wanting to replace the mid pickup, to get some nuances/variance;- the stock singles are ceramic bar ones, with HUGE (quarter pound) ish pole pieces. It is very aggressive, with lots of bite- a modern sound.

I remember the A2PS to be very warm, subtle, with lots of character and that traditional "pole piece magnet" single coil quack.

I'm going to put one in the middle position of my Peavey,- which is also gonna have the 10-way Freeway switch; (that enables i.e. bridge-mid, and neck+mid series connection.)

The other option was to go with a GFS "lil killer" 10k, which I think has to be something like a cool rails.

Any ideas?

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

the aps is vintage output so those ceramic pups might have a lot more output, that can be ok, but may not get you the balance you want

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      the aps is vintage output so those ceramic pups might have a lot more output, that can be ok, but may not get you the balance you want
      I thought about that aswell; but in this guitar I'm thinking "versatility". So I want something that combines with the "Modern, high output" style of the stock PU's.

The A2Ps sounded great last time I tried it, too

-E
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

You can also look at the Five Two which will be a little brighter on the bass strings. That might balance better with the other pickups.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          You can also look at the Five Two which will be a little brighter on the bass strings. That might balance better with the other pickups.
          yeah, or some "crazy" pickup; like a ferrite gold foil? I'm wanting the most "aviable" tones with this guitar. Which will also have a Freeway 10-way switch.

I fell in love with Strat bridge+mid series tone, after I was given a "junk" squier; that I connected that way. It sounded glorious!

-E

Comment

Others will help with the pup recommendations, but welcome to the Peavey club. Let us know how you like the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Others will help with the pup recommendations, but welcome to the Peavey club. Let us know how you like the guitar.
              I like the guitar; it's actually the model I had as my first guitar in 2003. . This one, I got dead cheap from a used store; only 12! usd!

It's nice; though the neck is a bit special (flat C, large frets, large radius), and the SC's is...well.. quite special. As the stock 5-way switch is broken; I'm going for a 10-way "Freeway" switch.

The tuners also needs an upgrade. I think I will get the GFS ones with brass pegs.

A keeper, for sure!

-E

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                A keeper, for sure!
                Sweet deal! For some reason, MIA Peavey's don't get the love they deserve. That's fine. Keeps 'em cheap for the rest of us.

Comment

Working...
                X