Will this work? Injector neck / STK-S7 mid / Tone Zone S bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this work? Injector neck / STK-S7 mid / Tone Zone S bridge

Thinking of putting these humcancelling singles into SSS Vol/Tone/Tone guitar, ash body, maple neck, 5-way switch.

The plan is to have 250k volume, 250k tone connected to the neck, no tone on mid, 500k tone connected to the bridge.

I'm hoping to get a decent single coil-y neck clean that works well with light/medium/higher gain, a beefy/humbuckerish rock bridge sound, and sparkly cleans (that can maybe do some decent overdrive sounds) on N+M, M, M+B with the middle screwed way down.

Are there different pickup choices I should be considering?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

My Injector neck sounds more like a Gibson neck pickup. But I actually have it in the middle position of my Jackson right now. Maybe next to the fretboard it would take on more Strat sound. Injectors seem to do better under gain then Strat-sounding pickups. YMMV

Remember to wire the Duncan reverse phase to the DiMarzios.

Comment

Any reason not to do an Area 67 or Area 58 in the middle?

As I posted in your other thread I do love the Injectors.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Any reason not to do an Area 67 or Area 58 in the middle?
        I think the 67 will be too bright with no tone hooked up, and Dimarzio says the 58 is about the same brightness.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I also vote for Area 58 in the middle. It is warmer than Area 67 especially on the high strings. With the Area 58 I tend to notice the string balance is a bit heavier on the wound strings, which can be either good or bad. Its possible that Area 58 has Alinco 5 on the wound strings and A2 on the plain strings which is the theory that been posted elsewhere online. Overall it is not a bright pickup when used with a 250k volume control and 500k tone. I was thinking you may be better to swap to 500k controls with this pickup config.

Comment

Hmmm . . . well, I don't want to make things sound heavier on the wound strings, this will be going into a guitar that I'll be stringing light top/heavy bottoms (10 - 52), so there's already a little boost there.

I did find a good deal on an injector bridge, so maybe I'll give the full Injector set (Injector N - Area 67 - Injector B) a go and tweak things from there. The guitar it's going into is relatively bright, so I'll try it out with 250k volume and 500k tones to start . . . maybe bump the volume to 500k if that's too dark. (And I guess I can always put a 250k resistor in parallel with the middle pickup to make it less peaky/bright if that ends up being a problem.)

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              I did find a good deal on an injector bridge, so maybe I'll give the full Injector set (Injector N - Area 67 - Injector B) a go and tweak things from there. The guitar it's going into is relatively bright, so I'll try it out with 250k volume and 500k tones to start . . . maybe bump the volume to 500k if that's too dark. (And I guess I can always put a 250k resistor in parallel with the middle pickup to make it less peaky/bright if that ends up being a problem.)
              When you have a 250k controls or an additional resistor it will mitigate the brightness, so it sounds like a good plan to me.

Comment

I’m almost positive they come with all 250K in the loaded pickguard.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I wonder if the Chopper bridge would match with the injector neck. I'm thinking of other options. To be honest I'm not really sure how strat-like you are expecting this combo to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                    I wonder if the Chopper bridge would match with the injector neck. I'm thinking of other options. To be honest I'm not really sure how strat-like you are expecting this combo to be.
                    The goal is stratty but with a little more output in the neck, quacky 2 and 4 positions, very low output middle, and a bridge that sounds at least OK clean and takes gain well. Bridge-wise I'm fine with humbucker or beefy strat sounds.

The vintage output pickups currently in there are just ridiculously too bright - I can't make them workable until I've turned down to about 3/10 on the tone knob . . . and they're so low output that I'm never rolling the volume knob back.

I've ordered the injector/67/injector and will tweak from there as needed.

Comment

Working...
                    X