So the P90 Thinline body arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the P90 Thinline body arrived

All good, although it's going to need quote a bit of prepping as expected. The seller said so in his ad and I knew that when I bought it. But it does look VERY nice. A proper piece of 3/16 or 1/4 inch elm on top, not a paper thin veneer you'd sand through in a heartbeat.

I'm probaby going to end up with a minimalist custom pickguard, just big enough to cover the control cavity, so as much of the wood remains on display.

Question: with P90s, one volume or two? It'll only have one tone. I expect there isn't enough room for three pots and three knobs.

I might end up using a Switchcraft toggle instead of a Fender 3-way blade to get more knob room, and I'll be using Telecaster knobs.

Can't wait to see some photos!

As far as volumes, I often plan on a volume for each pup, but rarely use them and a master volume is probably more practical..
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Further investigation reveals the body is completely hollow in the upper bout, so I can fit a switchcraft toggle into the upper bout Les Paul style. That leaves enough room in the somewhat oversized Telecaster style control cavity for four pots, two volumes, two tones, which is probably the way I'm going to go.

Comment

In the raw.

I've ordered P90 to mini humbucker pickup rings, which I hope are big enough. The control plate will be home made,, 3 ply cream probably,, just big enough to cover the hole..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220329_064013.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	6162023

Comment

I would go Volume/Tone/3-way switch like a typical Thinline but that's just me. The pots might end up closer together than you want with 4 in that space.

Comment

They'll fit with 1-1/2 inch centers, same as the closest centers (roughly) on my SG. I plan on using Tele style knobs too. Click image for larger version

Name:	Control Plate Layout 1.png
Views:	116
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	6162044

Comment

No switch?!
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Switchcraft up in the upper bout like a Les Paul was the plan...

But...

I'm thinking the forward knobs might get in the way of strumming, so most likely I'll use a standard Thinline pickguard, regular Fender 3-way and two knobs. The pickguard will be cut back to go around the P90s and pickup rings.

Comment

P-90's don't have pickup rings? Or are you using PhatCats or something else?

You could also do stacked Vol/Tone if you really want the separation but don't have room.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    P-90's don't have pickup rings? Or are you using PhatCats or something else?

You could also do stacked Vol/Tone if you really want the separation but don't have room.
                    The P90s require pickups rings, or something, to cover up the gaps around them due to the oversized cavities (see picture). I'm trying to minimize the size of the pickguard / control plate to maximize the amount of exposed wood.

I could use stacked pots, I suppose, but this was more of a passing thought than anything else. After all, with a 3-way switch, mixing volumes and tones only comes into play in P2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P90 in the hole.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	6162068

Comment

Well, to make it look clean without putting pickup rings (which may look odd around a P-90) one option is the '72 thinline pickguard. Order it without the pickup routes (because P-90's aren't an option on it) and the cut the routes yourself or have someone do it.

Also check with WD Music. They may be able to make one with P-90 routes for you.

Comment

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. I already have two sheets of picguard material, a spare pickguard and a router, so I can probably make my own, cut back to maximize the wood-i-ness

Comment

That's cool. Something Thinline-like, maintaining the curves, but modified. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                            In the raw.

I've ordered P90 to mini humbucker pickup rings, which I hope are big enough. The control plate will be home made,, 3 ply cream probably,, just big enough to cover the hole..

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220329_064013.jpg Views:	21 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	6162023

The rings should fit fine. That's what they, mini humbuckers, were developed for, specifically: To put humbuckers in guitar bodies that had already been routed for P90s without having to modify/route anything else out.

Gibson had all of these bodies routed for P90s and developed their mini humbuckers specifically to fit those P90 holes. That's why they exist; to replace P90s without modifying the guitar.

I thought this was common knowledge. Mini humbuckers will(should?) replace P90s with no modifications necessary. Install the ring and pickup and that's it afaik.
                            Last edited by Wound_Up; 03-30-2022, 05:15 AM.
                            JC
                            -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                            -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                            -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                            -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                            -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                            -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Those are universal cavities to fit anything mounted to a pg. Nothing but huge custom rings or pickguard mounting is going to cover those routs.

Comment

Working...
                              X