Custom pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom pickups

Who has commissioned SD to build a custom pickup..??
    Was it worth it and how was the process..??
    Z...

Welcome to the forum!

You mean from the Custom Shop? I have a few. They were absolutely worth it if what you want can't be found in the stock offerings.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I own two.

First, a gold covered Brobucker. It is a Custom Shop offering, so I was able to just order it through a SD Dealer.

My second, which is more of a commissioned build, is a reproduction of a Fender X-1. For it I called the Custom Shop and we discussed what I knew about the X-1, also the guitar and position I was installing it in. I made some notes, and then filled in and submitted the online CS pickup order form with the details from our discussion. The CS reproduction is faithful to the tone of the other original X-1 in my guitar, a 1981 Fender Lead II. It is also my favorite single coil pickup. This whole process was super easy and I felt like the CS wanted to ensure they built exactly what I needed.

So definitely worth it for me! I am even considering a SSS Strat loaded with 3 CS X-1's.
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

It's really worth it. You get a custom pickup built by master builders at Duncan for not that much money. There's a lot to work with when modding existing Duncans but if you want something unique, there's no reason not to.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks...
          I play mainly hard rock/metal..likes are Joe S....Ratt..Dokken..Vinnie Moore..Neil S...and some Vai.
          The SD Distortion I put in my old B.C.Rich decades ago was...well as I remember was incredible..Been out of the Game since the 90's...The girl bought me a second hand ESP a few yrs ago(10)..it's action was quite nice..but just not my sound..so I've been slowly resorting it,but side tracked due to some pressing medical issues..
          Currently playing an ESP Viper..sorry but it has EMG 81/85..love the 81 ..but the 85..crap(for me)..
          Anyway,going with SD for the Custom ESP..
          Looking at a a d stacked volume pot..high pass filter push/pull pot..w/tone at bottom..5way pickup switch..Am definitely going with a custom SD pickup at the bridge..Not sure what at the neck just yet..And a back routed out Floyd Rose..neck has been re-fretted..the body has an air brush on a deep burgundy gloss strat type body..
          Should be a shredder when completed..Est. time December this yr..
          Thank You guys for the warm welcome and advice..
          Z...

Comment

Originally posted by Zionoir View Post
            Who has commissioned SD to build a custom pickup..??
            Was it worth it and how was the process..??
            Z...
            They called me and traded ideas about the concept i had. They were friendly and open to hearing my side, which was really cool given they're the pro's and i'm not. One suggestion they made was using a regular, production model to nail the sound i wanted, but they ended up heavily modifying the Pearly Gates.

They did a great job with the humbucker. The quality exceeded my expectations, honestly. Anytime i play that guitar with some buddies of mine they mention how awesome the bridge pup sounds, compared to burstbuckers and EMGs in their axes.
            Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Also,you might be able to get close to your idea with something like a Shop Floor Custom, too. They are available to order from any authorized SD dealer.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Welcome to the forum!

You mean from the Custom Shop? I have a few. They were absolutely worth it if what you want can't be found in the stock offerings.
                That right there.

I think far too many people spend far too little time getting clear on what they want/need before they get a stock pickup.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                X