banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you install a trembucker in a Gibson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you install a trembucker in a Gibson?

Would a trembucker fit in the pickup route on the bridge of a Gibson Les Paul?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Yep.

Comment

Yes. But it's not totally necessary if you don't have one.

Comment

the trembucker may not fit the stock pup ring though

Comment

And no. The mountings and overall dimensions are the same, so it should fit in the cavity and through pickup rings.

But...

A trembucker is intended to be used on the wider string spacing on something like a Strat. The pole pieces are spaced a fraction further apart (0.414 inch centers) to suit. Therefore if regular humbucker pole pieces (0.385 inch centers) are too close together to suit a Strat, then trembucker pole pieces are surely too far apart to suit a typical Gibson. The difference overall is 0.145 inches, or about or 3.7 mm low e to high e.

Both will work in the other, but the visuals will be off, and some would say there's a small but still preceivable difference in sound.

Comment

With a Seymour Duncan tremspaced pickup, the entire pickup is wider than a standard spaced. It's not just the pole pieces that are spaced differently.

Now, with DiMarzios, the overall dimensions of their standard and F-spaced pickups are the same but the pole piece are wider apart with F-spacing.

Confused yet? LOL

Comment

Yes, if it's a Gibson made after 1980, I believe?

Comment

I know my 1980 Gibson was regular-spaced.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  With a Seymour Duncan tremspaced pickup, the entire pickup is wider than a standard spaced. It's not just the pole pieces that are spaced differently.

Now, with DiMarzios, the overall dimensions of their standard and F-spaced pickups are the same but the pole piece are wider apart with F-spacing.

Confused yet? LOL
                  Yes, you're right, but the difference is only about 0.085" or about 2mm.

'59 trembucker (linked directly from SD website,)

Click image for larger version

Name:	TB-6-String-Uncovered-Short-Magnet-Short-Leg-Bottom-Plate.gif
Views:	638
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	6163504 Standard '59 (again direct from the SD website)

Name:	HB-6-String-Uncovered-Short-Magnet-Long-Leg-Bottom-Plate.gif
Views:	682
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	6163505

Comment

FWIW my 2015 Gibson SG (with a 59/Custom Hybrid regular humbucker) and my MIM HSS Strat (with the same but trembucker sized) happen to be hanging on the wall next to each other today. The trembucker on the MIM fitted through a standard HSS pickguard, so I'm pretty sure it'll fit through a Gibson pickup ring.

Also note that the mounting hole centers and overall length left to right as depicted are near as dammit the same, and that the trembucker is actually slightly narrower, so it'll almost certainly fit in the hole in the body

It really boils down to whether or not you're fussed about the magnet and string spacing matching, and or if you can actually hear any difference in the outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

Yes, you're right, but the difference is only about 0.085" or about 2mm.

'59 trembucker (linked directly from SD website,)

Name:	TB-6-String-Uncovered-Short-Magnet-Short-Leg-Bottom-Plate.gif
Views:	638
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	6163504 Standard '59 (again direct from the SD website)

Name:	HB-6-String-Uncovered-Short-Magnet-Long-Leg-Bottom-Plate.gif
Views:	682
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	6163505

yup, but enough to make a super tight fit in a standard spaced ring or pickguard route. Speaking from experience.

Comment

FWIW my 2015 Gibson SG (with a 59/Custom Hybrid regular humbucker) and my MIM HSS Strat (with the same but trembucker sized) happen to be hanging on the wall next to each other today. The trembucker on the MIM fitted through a standard HSS pickguard, so I'm pretty sure it'll fit through a Gibson pickup ring.

Also note that the mounting hole centers and overall length left to right as depicted are near as dammit the same, and that the trembucker is actually slightly narrower, so it'll almost certainly fit in the hole in the body

It really boils down to whether or not you're fussed about the magnet and string spacing matching, and or if you can actually hear any difference in the outputs.
                        MIM Strat bridge spacing is narrower than American vintage. The MIM is what is considered narrow spacing, unless specified. Both my Strat builds have the Gotoh vintage 6-screw bridge which is the vintage spec wider spacing. There’s a noticeable difference between tremspaced and standard spaced pickups in them as far as the poles go. With the standards, the E strings just barely go over the outside poles.

DiMarzio F-spaced pickups don’t line up 100% with that bridge which leads me to believe their F-spacing is tailored to the narrow Strat spacing.

Comment

And no. The mountings and overall dimensions are the same, so it should fit in the cavity and through pickup rings.

But...

A trembucker is intended to be used on the wider string spacing on something like a Strat. The pole pieces are spaced a fraction further apart (0.414 inch centers) to suit. Therefore if regular humbucker pole pieces (0.385 inch centers) are too close together to suit a Strat, then trembucker pole pieces are surely too far apart to suit a typical Gibson. The difference overall is 0.145 inches, or about or 3.7 mm low e to high e.

Both will work in the other, but the visuals will be off, and some would say there's a small but still preceivable difference in sound.
                          I thought that Gibson's were spaced regularly in the bridge but when I bought my 498t from Gibson the description said the pole pieces were slightly farther apart for optimal spacing in the bridge. That's why I'm asking, the spacing seems to line up better with the wider spacing than on my other Gibson that has a antiquity JB/Jazz set in it which is regular spaced.
                          It's funny how some stories became historic,
                          especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                          But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

My understanding is starting around 1987 Gibson introduced the 49X series of pickups which is when the wider spaced bridge started. IME on a Gibson guitar, the pickup pole spacing doesn't cause easily perceived differences in sound, so it's less of a worry.

Regarding Trembuckers on a Gibson, all the ones I've tried fit in the guitar and in the ring except one: the Parallel Axis. Because it's bobbins are square-ish, it needs it's own mounting ring. But it will fit in the guitar - you just have to solve for the slightly bigger bobbins. There were a couple high-output Trembuckers I tried that almost didn't fit (so much wire on the bobbin it was kind of rubbing on the pickup ring.). I just had to be very careful setting the height.

I've experienced more issues going the other way - putting a standard humbucker spacing in a vintage strat bridge guitar, the outside E strings didn't come through as strong for me. Raising the outside poles helped a little bit, but also changes the sound slightly.

Comment

Yep; AFAIK most modern Gibsons come from the factory with F-spaced bridge pickups.
                              Reissue models probably wouldn't, of course, since vintage Gibsons didn't.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X