DiMarzio winding tolerance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio winding tolerance?

Does anyone know what the under/over winding tolerance is on DiMarzio humbuckers? I got a super distortion that is supposed to be 13.68 and is 14.89 barely under 10% overwound. Is this normal or is it worth returning it?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Have you calibrated your multimeter?

On my multimeter, the on board calibration has a larger sweep than the discrepancy you are seeing.

Comment

Resistance varies with ambient temperature. Put the pickup in the refrigerator for 5 minutes and then take a measurement.

Comment

I've gotten the impression over the years that dimarzio can indeed be pretty sloppy in that regard.
        One of the Ibanez-centric forums had this topic come up a lot.
        There was an old story where Vai's tech changed the evo neck pickup for a new one and tossed the original. After Vai played it he had the old one fished out from the garbage and put back in.

Comment

Temperature and the wire gauge itself are both variable. For the consistency of turns wound, it would be more useful to measure inductance.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
            Temperature and the wire gauge itself are both variable. For the consistency of turns wound, it would be more useful to measure inductance.
            How do you measure inductance? I'm pretty sure my multimeter is calibrated because my Gibson pickup measured pretty accurate. Hey I just noticed something, I got these pickups from an exchange from DiMarzio and they have a letter 'U' behind the model number on each pickup sticker. I got a super distortion that is labeled DP100FNU and a PAF 36th anniversary neck model that has DP103NU. Does anyone know why these pickups have the U on the sticker on the back of the baseplate? I know the pickups I sent in for these did not have this U on there label.
            Last edited by Mikelamury; 04-08-2022, 04:56 AM.
            It's funny how some stories became historic,
            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
              Does anyone know what the under/over winding tolerance is on DiMarzio humbuckers? I got a super distortion that is supposed to be 13.68 and is 14.89 barely under 10% overwound. Is this normal or is it worth returning it?
              I worked there. They use programmable winding machines. Every pickup is exactly the same.

Ambient temperature will affect the DC resistance. The higher the temperature, the higher the resistance.

Also it’s the number of turns that determines output. Not the DC resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Inductance measurements requires something something more than a Mutimeter. You will find devices called LCR meter, or LCR bridge and will cost several hundred dollars, sometimes much more. These are aimed at technicians more than hobbyists. It's also important to know the frequency where the measurement is being made. I measure pickup inductance at 250Hz, or occasionally 125Hz.

Comment

Working...
                X