Questions for Deoxit users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    There's Deoxit, and there's Deoxit "Fader" version. I'm reading that the 'fader' version is the one that is safe for plastics. So...

Potentiometers have a surface mount board that the lugs are on (is that plastic? or something else?)
    - Is it better to use the 'fader' version on pots?
    - Or does normal Deoxit work without doing any harm?

I have some slide switches in an effects box that I think need lubrication (the action switching positions seems stiff and kind of 'gummy'; some kind of physical resistance but nothing I can see visibly). The switch toggle itself is black plastic while the electrical contacts and switch housing are metal.
    - Should I use Deoxit "Fader" version on that?
    - Is Deoxit more for cleaning or does it effectively lubricate also?
    - Or would it be better to use a synthetic lubricant like NyoGel 760G?

Normal Deoxit is safe on most plastics. Fader Deoxit is for some plastic specifically used in those, I'm betting.

Go to their website and read. It'll do you A LOT OF GOOD. They explain what each and every version is and what it's for. Whether it cleans, lubes, or cleans AND lubes.

Go read. You'll get better info there than you will from people's memories. They have MANY different kinds of Deoxit and it seems that you need to spend some time there reading so you understand what it is youre working with
    Last edited by Wound_Up; 04-14-2022, 03:09 AM.
    JC
    -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
    -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
    -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
    -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
    -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
    -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post

Normal Deoxit is safe on most plastics. Fader Deoxit is for some plastic specifically used in those, I'm betting.

Go to their website and read. It'll do you A LOT OF GOOD. They explain what each and every version is and what it's for. Whether it cleans, lubes, or cleans AND lubes.

Go read. You'll get better info there than you will from people's memories. They have MANY different kinds of Deoxit and it seems that you need to spend some time there reading so you understand what it is youre working with
      Or just get regular deoxit. It works for everything you want it for on guitar stuff.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post

I did read the product labeling and the web site before posting.

The fader version said it was formulated for sliding surface carbon-based controls, which potentiometers are. However I know multiple guys on here have used the D series on their pots and have said it was the answer to their scratchy pot issues. I wanted to find out if they had any further issues long term after doing that, since it sounds like the D series is not specifically formulated for carbon track controls. Wasn't asking for anyone to recall data from memory, but just relate their experience.

Also, I was specifically looking to use it on some slide switches that have nylon plastic slide elements with the metal contacts embedded on the back (specifically this type: https://switches-connectors-custom.c...ibutor%20Stock). The Caig site just says "for switches" for both the D and the F, which doesn't tell me specifically what I wanted to find out regarding the plastic elements of the switch type I'm looking at. The CAIG support knowledge base is just specific emails that got answered. There is some interesting detail there, but if someone didn't ask your specific question, you're out of luck.

The marketing claim that it lubricates doesn't tell me to the degree that it actually works for that vs a specific lubrication formula like NyoGel, or any riaks/disadvantages of do-it-all cleaner+lubricant vs using separate products for each (my experience is do-it-all stuff 'works' but can have issues, vs using the 'right' chemical for each job and never having a problem after that.). For example, some products claim they lubricate, but also do damage to certain materials. Oils can craze, crack, or embrittle a variety of plastic and elastomer components. Esters, diesters, and polyesters, are incompatible with polycarbonate, PVC, polystyrene, and ABS resins. CAIG doesn't reveal their actual lubrication formula other than saying 'DeoxiT active ingredient'.

I'm working on a vintage piece of gear that, once damaged, can't easily be fixed or replaced. So I was looking for people's real-world experiences.

I have the F version and NyoGel. I think I'm going to give JamesPaul's advice a go.

Comment

Working...
        X