banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SH-10n Full Shred (neck) Clips (by request)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SH-10n Full Shred (neck) Clips (by request)

Synapsys wanted to know how the clean tone was, so I whipped up a clean clip... added a "bonus" Snooze Blooze clip showcasing the dirty side.

A Jade's Song rendition (Badlands):

As Joe Bananamassa told me once, "when you're playin' the Snooze, gotta put some stank on them notes or else break out the pillows for the audience":

Snooze Blooze:

Wow, LLL, thank you so much! You didn't have to do all that!

I guess my instincts about the FSn were spot on, but I was surprised that the clean tone is so good, having a bell-like quality very akin to a single coil. The mid gain tone wasn't my cup of tea, but I usually go for gainier tones, for which I guess the pickupwill excel at.

Well, time to start saving up for a So Cal and for a Custom Custom for the bridge, and hope that the Vintage White finish will be available again...
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Sounds great clean. Are you splitting it in that blooze clip? I'm hearing the buzz there. It's very articulate with some sizzle.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        Sounds great clean. Are you splitting it in that blooze clip? I'm hearing the buzz there. It's very articulate with some sizzle.
        No split, had guitar very close to monitor with dA gAiNzzz

Forgot to mention tone pot out of circuit too.
        Last edited by LLL; 04-13-2022, 10:52 AM.

Comment

That sounds great! My gripe with neck tones is always the boominess and lack of detail, neither of which being particularly prominent here. I really have to get hold of one of these.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

No split, had guitar very close to monitor with dA gAiNzzz
            That's a pretty Stratty sounding neck pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

That's a pretty Stratty sounding neck pickup.
              It really is. First thing I noticed upon playing it was the single coil stank it put on top.

A powaful stank, indeed because... humbucker.

Comment

I liked the blooze one. Sounds like you're a rawkin, bikin, lumberjack from the early 90s.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Sh10n is a great neck pickup. I have mine set up with all filisters for a bit less of that attack the hexpoles give.

I stand corrected on what I said previously, that is was very even sounding across the mids and highs. It was a crappy cable that was chopping both the highs and the lows from my signal.

aftwr switching cables, i got back highs and lows that could never have been added at the amp eq without sounding horrible.

I am more happy with the set now overall. Very dynamic feeling/sounding and very bright/detailed in a most excellent way!

I mainly use them in mahogany guitars, where they balance better.

Thanks for the clips, LLL !

Comment

Hi there! First post on this forum, long time Duncan user. Nice clips and tones!

I've been thinking of picking up a SH-10n for my clean, acoustic, and tele-like tones without getting muddy or boomy.
                    Is that the right direction, or would a Pearly Gates neck or something else be better for that?
                    How does the Full Shred neck compare to the Jazz, Sentient, Pearly Gates, and Saturday Night Special neck pickups?
                    Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Overlord View Post
                      Hi there! First post on this forum, long time Duncan user. Nice clips and tones!

I've been thinking of picking up a SH-10n for my clean, acoustic, and tele-like tones without getting muddy or boomy.
                      Is that the right direction, or would a Pearly Gates neck or something else be better for that?
                      How does the Full Shred neck compare to the Jazz, Sentient, Pearly Gates, and Saturday Night Special neck pickups?
                      Thanks!
                      Welcome to the forum!
                      The Full Shred is a very bright pickup...brighter than the Jazz, PG, or Sentient. I don't think it sounds particularly like a Tele or an acoustic, but further processing might help. This isn't unique to the FS pickup itself...I think any humbucker would need further processing to approach those sounds. Another option is something like a Jazz in parallel.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Overlord View Post

Thanks!
                        Having used all of the pickups you've mentioned, except the PG, the full shred is definitely the best option. It will not get boom or muddy

Comment

Even if it is not a vintage strat sound or a tele sound it does have a single coil vibe and I enjoy it a lot. If you get your gain to mild breakup it can do some nice rhythm playing in my opinion. I have it my Charvel SoCal and I use it for the clean and Frusciante like tones, it is not 100% there but it is good enough for me to just bring one guitar. I will bring the Strat if I really want an acurate Strat sound.

Being that said I would rather pair it with the FS bridge than a JB for exampe as te EQ can bee too different for some people, just like when they complain about vintage single coils being too bright in an HSS configuration if you tweaked your amp for the bridge pickup. I mean, some people may like it, some people may not like that combo, depends on your taste or what you wanna try to acomplish.
                          Who took my guitar?

Comment

The SH-10n is so clear and articulate, that I could play the same hair metal rhythms (that I would normally play on the bridge pickup, at the same gain level) on the SH-10n... to equal effect.

Comment

Anyone out there that's tried both the Full Shred Neck and the Psyclone Humbucker sized neck?
                              Which one is more clean and open sounding with the most string separation?

I like the Full Shred bridge, but it always seems better with an overdrive pedal to push the mids a bit.
                              Never tried the FS neck, because I was always worried it would work the same way.
                              And I don't necessarily want to have my overdrive pedal on when I want to play something clean on the neck.
                              At least not for this guitar and project I'm working on.

The 59 has nice highs and mids, but sometimes the low end can get a little boomy for my playing.
                              And the Jazz always seems to be lacking a little bit when I hit the lowest two strings.
                              I like the Sentient, as it's kind of in between the 59 and Jazz, but looking for something a little cleaner/lower output.
                              Been thinking of trying either the Full Shred neck or the Psyclone neck as they're both around the same resistance and use alnico 5.
                              Last edited by Overlord; 05-04-2022, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X