Vintage hot stack plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage hot stack plus

I currently have the classic strat plus pickups in my maple fretboard American strat. I would like to have just a little more from my bridge pickup and am thinking about replacing it with a vintage hot stack plus. Do you think it would work well with the classics. I like them being noiseless.

Definitely. That would be a great setup. The common "Gilmour" noiseless setup is the Custom Stack Plus in the bridge with the Classic Stack Plus in the middle and neck. The noiseless options to the SSL-5/SSL-1/SSL-1 or SSL-6/SSL-2/SSL-2 setup. The Vintage Hot Stack Plus seems to have that "just enough" overwind to be useful without losing too much of that Strat characteristic. That's what I hear anyway from clips and demos.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

This is a classic combination that lots of people love. Come back and let us know how this project turns out!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

thats my favorite stack set! stks4n, stks4m, stks7. the stks6 is great too but more than i usually want with more vintage sounding neck and middle. the stks7 works great for something more than the stks4b but without going too far

Comment

Me too. 4n / 4m / 6 or 9b. (I can't actually remember which of those bridge pups I chose.) But they sound killer.

Comment

Stk-s7 is a great bridge pickup. It should be well suited to your setup.

Comment

I have a STK-S4 neck and STK-S7 bridge in an LTD Strat. Perfect combo for me, from clean to crunch. If you like your STK-S4 neck than the STK-S7 is the perfect extension regarding volume, tone, and expressiveness, just enough meat for the bridge position and handle distortion quite well. I wish SD produce a real single-coil version of the STK-S7.

Comment

My SD Custom Shop Fender X-1 repro is a true single coil and it is right there in the STK-S7's wheelhouse. It truly is more of everything single coil, just like the STK-S7. It is also by far my favorite single coil, but it is Custom Shop - not regular production.

I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I think going SD custom shop or Fender custom shop would be about the same price bracket.
                  I have a set of Rose single-coil pickups that also has the bridge pickup with "a bit more of everything for that position", but that set is more vintage output compared to STK-S4/S7.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
                    My SD Custom Shop Fender X-1 repro is a true single coil and it is right there in the STK-S7's wheelhouse. It truly is more of everything single coil, just like the STK-S7. It is also by far my favorite single coil, but it is Custom Shop - not regular production.
                    While I have an X-1, I have no idea how it compares to anything in SD's catalog. What have you figured out?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

While I have an X-1, I have no idea how it compares to anything in SD's catalog. What have you figured out?
                      That is definitely the challenge, and why I went to the Custom Shop. There does not seem to be any production pickup that is a great match. I compare it with the STK-S7 because to me they both sound like like overwound Strat pickups, but they do not lose the bright, chimey, bell tones of a Strat single coil. They just have more than a normal wind. The S7 is probably higher output, but I think my CS X-1 can get close.

What I really would like to hear is an Ant II Surfer bridge with flat, full strength A5 magnets in it. On paper that seems like a close match for an X-1. There just does not seem to be much demand for something like that, because it is overwound but not into even medium output range. Then again, MJ did not give me her recipe, so I may already be closer to that than I realize.
                      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

i think the custom antiquity bridge pups are skinnier wire than the normal 6.4k neck and middle models, theres no way they are 9.5k of #42 formvar. both by sound and by looking at the coil. great pups though

Comment

Working...
                        X