No announcement yet.

59's vs Jazz's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been playing my guitar with the new Jazz neck. It's a bolt on superstrat Jackson with a Floyd. Love, love, love this pickup in this guitar. Beautiful sparkling top end. Plenty of low end definition without being boomy. Roll the tone knob back a bit and it sweetens up quick.
    I have a 59n in a set neck mahogany superstrat Shecter. I modded it with a polished A4. Love it but stock it was a bit boomy. It definitely has more overall body than the Jazz. I love it split.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      I have a 59n in a set neck mahogany superstrat Shecter. I modded it with a polished A4. Love it but stock it was a bit boomy. It definitely has more overall body than the Jazz. I love it split.
      Somewhere, I have a 59n around here, and an A4 mag. I'm going to have to try that combo in something.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
        If you suggest to measure pickup response with dual exciter coils, wouldn't it need to model the string vibration as well? I'm not sure if it would make much difference for neck pickups.
        It's certainly possible to model string vibration: some people like Guy Lemarquand have done a fantastic work about that.

Measuring anything related to string vibration is another story : non linearity is at work even with the most robotic string picker and the only way to minimize it is to average long recorded samples, IMHO/IME.

That's why I like dynamic tests relying on electrically induced impulse responses rather than string vibration.

Regarding pickups position, I like this fantastic tool, personally : http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

I've found that mixing the results of this simulator with the measured resonant peaks of both coils in a humbucker gives a fairly close approximation of what the pickup delivers under strings (played by human hand but whose frequency response has been averaged).

Out of my indifferent thoughts and to come back on topic: so your SH2 neck seems to have a rather high inductance, like the Custom Shop model measured on guitarnutz... In my own notes, SH2's tend to be roughly in the T-Top range, with a wee bit more inductance due to their longer mags (but still with a lower inductivity than SH1's)... So, I'd shamelessly tend towards a commonplace saying that SH2 vs SH1 exhibit the same kind of difference than between T-Top and P.A.F.'s or between L series and CBS Strat PU's... YMMV. :-)
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Which coil, (stud or screw), of each pup do you prefer for this mod? Sounds intriguing.
          I enjoyed both versions. The differences in tone weren't that huge if memory serves. A slight shift in the EQ but the overall feel and response remained the same. The 59Jazz is just an amazing pickup and I haven't heard any neck pickup, ever, even come close.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

I enjoyed both versions. The differences in tone weren't that huge if memory serves. A slight shift in the EQ but the overall feel and response remained the same. The 59Jazz is just an amazing pickup and I haven't heard any neck pickup, ever, even come close.
            Thanks. I'm not sure if I'm going to mess with it or not. The Jazz, as it is, just works perfect in this guitar, with 250k pots. Maybe some time later.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
              That's why I like dynamic tests relying on electrically induced impulse responses rather than string vibration.

Regarding pickups position, I like this fantastic tool, personally : http://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponseDemo/

I've found that mixing the results of this simulator with the measured resonant peaks of both coils in a humbucker gives a fairly close approximation of what the pickup delivers under strings (played by human hand but whose frequency response has been averaged).[/COLOR]
              It makes sense if you can combine the theoretical string vibration with the measured response from each pole of the pickup. Each pickup pole would have slightly different magnetic flux pattern and frequency response, but importantly, they are also sensing a different part of the string.

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
              Out of my indifferent thoughts and to come back on topic: so your SH2 neck seems to have a rather high inductance, like the Custom Shop model measured on guitarnutz... In my own notes, SH2's tend to be roughly in the T-Top range, with a wee bit more inductance due to their longer mags (but still with a lower inductivity than SH1's)... So, I'd shamelessly tend towards a commonplace saying that SH2 vs SH1 exhibit the same kind of difference than between T-Top and P.A.F.'s or between L series and CBS Strat PU's... YMMV. :-)
              I have measured some other neck pickups for comparison:
              Duncan SH-2n, L=4.27H
              Suhr SSV neck, L=4.61H
              Dimarzio 36th PAF neck, L=4.62H
              Dimarzio PAF PRO, L=4.76H

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                It makes sense if you can combine the theoretical string vibration with the measured response from each pole of the pickup. Each pickup pole would have slightly different magnetic flux pattern and frequency response, but importantly, they are also sensing a different part of the string.
                I totally agree with your statement and wouldn't have worded it in a better way. :-)

I have measured some other neck pickups for comparison:
                Duncan SH-2n, L=4.27H
                Suhr SSV neck, L=4.61H
                Dimarzio 36th PAF neck, L=4.62H
                Dimarzio PAF PRO, L=4.76H
                Thx for sharing. :-)

Your meter seems to deliver more generous inductance measurements than what has been or is used here (Tonghui, Rigol, Jeulin, Wavetek). If memory serves me, 4.6H is +/- the inductance of pickups like the Gibson Burstbucker Pro, Duncan PG or Duncan A2P bridge models in my archived data. Let's note nevertheless that results change not only with the frequency but according to the meter used ...

Now, relatively speaking, it's meaningful IMHO: these 0.4H or 0.5H of difference that you mention between SH2n and the others are the kind of difference noticed between pickups named in my post 33 (when they are tested with a same meter at a same frequency, whatever they are): Less than one Henry and even half an Henry of difference are enough IMHO/IME to create a tonal gap between magnetic transducers - like the SH2 and SH1 discussed in this topic. :-))
                Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
                X