banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like the 78 is regular production now…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the 78 is regular production now…

Just saw this come up on Reverb From Darren Riley’s.

Originally posted by AZ Picker View Post
    Just saw this come up on Reverb From Darren Riley’s.
    Interesting! Is this legit?
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

It's not listed on the site. Still listed under Custom Shop

The '78 model from the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop captures that legendary late '70s brown sound.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        It's not listed on the site. Still listed under Custom Shop

https://customshop.seymourduncan.com/78-model/
        The Duncan website being a fount of accuracy...

Comment

Originally posted by Spaghetti Bolo View Post

The Duncan website being a fount of accuracy...
          Actually, any current products are on there.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That is a CS price on it, shops can stock CS pickups, they don't have to be a special order.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              That is a CS price on it, shops can stock CS pickups, they don't have to be a special order.
              Most humbuckers from the Custom Shop, including the 78, now start at $180.
              The '78 model from the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop captures that legendary late '70s brown sound.

Comment

They might have stocked it before the price increase. Get in now while you can. Though it is interesting that the box is not a Custom Shop box. But the average person like us, it seems can't order it from Duncan directly like that (other than Custom Shop)

Comment

I just bought it, more out of curiosity of if it’s regular production, or just a “standard custom shop”. The $129 is only 10 bucks more than a Standard uncovered WLH or SNS, and they’ve got another one in black, so my guess is this one has moved out of the custom shop… oh the hand-wringing if that’s the case and then folks can argue the custom shop ones were better! It will be like the old “who discovered UOA5 “ threads from days of Yore… I’ll post some photos of the pickup and packaging when I get it.

Comment

I'm gonna guess that the packaging is different depending on if it is retail vs. direct to Custom Shop order OR it is new old stock (Custom Shop). And that price certainly lines up close to old Custom Shop prices.

Comment

I'm kind of interested in what the sticker on the back says, what the model number is, if it's production.

My '78 just says '78 Model / The Custom Shop; and as an interesting aside, the label is orange instead of white, and the pickup was out of phase with other Duncans. Don't know if the original owner ordered a reverse phase '78 to go with Fender singles in the same guitar? And is an orange label the Duncan Custom Shop way of indicating it's reverse phase? Mystery.

Comment

Hmmm, I’ve had Orange labels and white labels, and they were in Phase with whatever Duncan or Gibson pickup I had opposite it. Maybe just a one off? I had a set of Fralin Pure PAFs that were like that new, out of phase electrically, thankfully they had 3 conductor wiring, so it was an easy fix. I’ll post some pictures when I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by skelt101 View Post
                          Most humbuckers from the Custom Shop, including the 78, now start at $180.
                          Interestingly a person can buy a period-correct Maxon Super 70 for less.

Comment

Ok it showed up today, looks a lot like a normal production model as far as packaging, Label on the back, etc. Nice touch it does have a Roughcast magnet still.

​​​​​​​

Comment

I think my 78 has a label on the back like that, it’s just has the CS label that is hand written.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X