Restoring a mid-90's JB Jnr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring a mid-90's JB Jnr

Hi All - I am restoring my 1992 American Strat Plus, which has some mid-90's Seymour Duncans. One of which is a JB Jnr. I would love to replace the tape and change/paint the pickup cover to black. Is this job recommended to be completed by an amateur? I was thinking to remove the tape, mask and spray-paint the white plastic, and then retape in black... Here is a link to some pic for reference - https://imgur.com/gallery/uYCV0CF

If you're planning on painting it anyway, maybe try using a black Sharpie first. We're you planning on masking the pole pieces somehow or spray painting the entire top? I had a little 59 (I think, one of the strat sized HBs) and the cover wasn't going to come off without brute strength that seemed like it would totally destroy the pickup.

You could always try to trade for a black one, or sell this and buy a black one if you can't find a trade partner.

Comment

I recommend rubberized spray paint. If you end up disliking it, it peels off. Also, you could easily use a razor blade after it’s painted to remove the paint from the pole pieces.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by piblock View Post
        If you're planning on painting it anyway, maybe try using a black Sharpie first. We're you planning on masking the pole pieces somehow or spray painting the entire top? I had a little 59 (I think, one of the strat sized HBs) and the cover wasn't going to come off without brute strength that seemed like it would totally destroy the pickup.

You could always try to trade for a black one, or sell this and buy a black one if you can't find a trade partner.
        Yeah, the later ones have a glued cover that doesn't come off. People have tried, and ruined the pickup.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I thought I had one to trade, but mine's a Lil Screamin' Demon.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            I thought I had one to trade, but mine's a Lil Screamin' Demon.
            Leave my kid out of this.

Comment

Originally posted by piblock View Post

Leave my kid out of this.

Comment

Some progress shots - https://imgur.com/a/6ubuGLn

Comment

Working...
                X