Tell me about the SH-8n Invader Neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the SH-8n Invader Neck

I’ve never played or used one. I’ve had an idea to build a DeLonge inspired Strat for 15 years but it’s never moved beyond a half box of parts. (I keep using items from the box for other projects)

I was thinking of a bridge/neck set of Invaders to complete a modified look, but I’ve never actually played one. I seem to remember something about an internal cap to keep the bass in check. What else can you tell me about it?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Go for it.

I'm waiting for a cheap import Invader single to come in so that I can finish my HS Invader pickguard. If the import sounds like ****, it was less than $15 and I'll try something else.

Comment

Interesting question. Never considered an Invader for a neck.

I have a friend with a DeLonge and I really love the Invader in that. I'm a Custom/Distorton guy myself.

I have to say, I'm not optimistic from my point of view and taste about the neck Invader. But that is me. But can't say that I've ever heard one or heard of one being used there....

Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The description is as follows:

”The Invader is loud, vicious, and unapologetic. Somewhat surprisingly, the Invader neck model couples intimidating looks with a warm, restrained sound—the perfect partner to the high output Invader bridge humbucker.”

”The Invader delivers the thickest, deepest low-end response of any passive pickup we make. Chords sound almost subsonic with lower tunings, but balance nicely with the crunchy treble, keeping everything well defined. While the Invader bridge looks mean and vicious, because it is mean and vicious, the Invader neck humbucker is surprisingly warm and smooth, despite its intimidating looks, and yields a thick crunch and moaning sustain.”

Compared to the description of the Distortion Neck:
        ”The Distortion neck pickup is specifically designed for use with the Distortion bridge model. It provides the highest output of all our neck humbuckers—hot enough to deliver smooth, fluid solo tones under gain, while still being capable of bell-like clean tones.”

I’m definitely intrigued, both for the unified look and the potential sound. The bridge is a lot of fun, but there are really only a few demos online of the neck.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I haven't used a Invader in the neck, only the bridge. But I have used a Duncan Designed Detonator in the neck. Its very clear and thick and not like anything else I've used. Closest pickup sound wise to a Detonator neck is probably a Distortion. Detonators are based on Invaders and look like them but don't sound like them. I'd give the Invader neck a chance if I had one.

Comment

The Invader look is just bad ass. This RG sounds killer...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220501_120908.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	6170097

Comment

A twin-Invader Strat would be super cool. Especially if you use an S-1 switch, (or somesuch), to switch both to parallel mode. Lots of good sounds in there.

Paint it sparkly black, with blood red highlights, and call it the Darth-Invader.

Comment

Invader neck reminds me of the 59 neck, but not as smooth. EQ is similar though. I don't hear it as being as over the top as everyone says in the ad-print. Pretty generic A5 neck pickup to my ears. Matches with the Invader bridge better than anything else I have found though.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  A twin-Invader Strat would be super cool. Especially if you use an S-1 switch, (or somesuch), to switch both to parallel mode. Lots of good sounds in there.

Paint it sparkly black, with blood red highlights, and call it the Darth-Invader.
                  Now you’ve given me another idea!
                  Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                  Invader neck reminds me of the 59 neck, but not as smooth. EQ is similar though. I don't hear it as being as over the top as everyone says in the ad-print. Pretty generic A5 neck pickup to my ears. Matches with the Invader bridge better than anything else I have found though.
                  Sounds good, definitely worth trying.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've always avoided the Invaders because I like painfully bright pickups. But over the years I've realized that the amp setting can more than compensate for a darker pickup. I have a friend who would probably love them if he tried them. He's always complaining that his guitar sound isn't heavy enough.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

The neck Invader isn't as dark as the bridge one, to me. But if I had a set, I'd certainly do a series/parallel option.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        I've always avoided the Invaders because I like painfully bright pickups. But over the years I've realized that the amp setting can more than compensate for a darker pickup. I have a friend who would probably love them if he tried them. He's always complaining that his guitar sound isn't heavy enough.

I’ve tended toward brighter Humbuckers and darker single coils so that I can switch between them and not sound like a blanket was out over the amp or cut my head off. The Invader is a fun pickup though, chunky and fat. This should be a fun idea though.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Parallel would probably sound fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                          X