banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swapping a SSL-6 for a STK-S6? Wiring question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping a SSL-6 for a STK-S6? Wiring question.

Hi everyone,

Got myself a Charvel Pro-Mod DK22 SSS 2PT CM last Christmas.

It cones stock with a Hot Rails bridge / Custom Flat middle / Custom Flat neck.

Really like the tones, but due to the switching, the only position that hums is the neck single, so I am considering swapping it for a Custom Stack.

Would like to keep the other 4 positions hum-free as they come wired stock, but gaining a noiseless neck, since I hate hum.

Can it be done? See the stock switching in the photo, to clear things out.
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

I'm not sure the pickup route is deep enough to fit a Duncan stack pickup. If you decide to 'make it fit', consider one of the other stack plus for the neck position, maybe the stk-s7.

Comment

I already own the STK-S7 in another axe; I like the Custom Strat neck, just want it noiseless, and keep the switching positions.
      Last edited by Synapsys; 05-20-2022, 08:50 PM.
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Just being curious. Why doesn‘t hum the middle pickup?
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Looks like the middle is never on by itself. This is similar to the HSS wiring I've used with the middle position being the outside 2 pickups (in my case, it is a split humbucker and a rw/rp split STK-S4 for hum cancelling).
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for your input, Mincer.

Would I need a RWRP Custom Stack? Are those even available outside the SD Custom Shop?

Comment

If you do a similar wiring, you'd need a rw/rp Custom Stack. They are available as Shop Floor Customs, from any authorized SD dealer, and are cheaper than the Custom Shop.

Comment

If your current pickups are hum cancelling in position 4 (neck + middle), it seems that one of them must be RW/RP already. It would be better to confirm which one you will keep in the middle before choosing the new pickup. If one of the SSL6 pickups is RW/RP and you can swap them around, then it wouldn't really matter which polarity the custom stack is, as both possibilities would be covered.
                Last edited by Teleplayer; 05-02-2022, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Just checked the spec sheet, and the stock neck pickup is indeed RWRP.

I could just swap it with the current middle position SSL-6, and then get the STK-S6 for the neck. But would that (putting the RWRP in the middle) cause any issues when using it with the split Hot Rails in positions 2 and 3 on the switching I posted previously?

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                    Just checked the spec sheet, and the stock neck pickup is indeed RWRP.

I could just swap it with the current middle position SSL-6, and then get the STK-S6 for the neck. But would that (putting the RWRP in the middle) cause any issues when using it with the split Hot Rails in positions 2 and 3 on the switching I posted previously?
                    Now I checked the image in post #1. You are right. You need the regular SSL-6 in the middle because the hot rails is coil-split in position 2 (Bridge + Middle).

Back to the issue of the routing depth. I found the thread where this came up previously when putting classic stacks in a charvel DK-22.
                    I have a Charvel DK-22 that came with 500k pots, a Hot Rails in the bridge and SSL-6 in neck and middle. It's a great guitar with a very skinny maple neck and an alder body (Gotoh trem). My only problem was that I really didn't like the SSL 6. So i sold them and took out the Texas Special Neck and Middle pickup from my 2002

Last edited by Teleplayer; 05-02-2022, 05:05 AM.

Comment

Can you check the polarities of the two non humbucker pickups you already have and post them up? If you can tell us which one is a "north up" and which a "south up" we may be able to figure out how to use the RWRP neck in the middle and a regular polarity stack in the neck.

Plan B might be to get an El Cheapo no name single coil pickup from eBay and pull the magnets out, use it as a dummy coil under the pickguard somewhere.

Comment

Thanks for your input, guys.

BTW, routing deeper cavities will not be an issue, if needed.

Just had an idea: what if I don't split the STK-S6? Would I still have noiseless tones in position 3 and 4?

Comment

If you arrange the polarities correctly and coil split to leave the right humbucker coil active, you can have hum canceling in all positions except where you have either a regular single coil on its own or two coils of the same polarity.

Comment

Will have to think about the pros and cons before doing anything, then!

Thank you all for your help!

Comment

This does sound like a really cool noise-free setup!

Comment

Working...
                              X