No announcement yet.

Advice on pickups for my Ibanez RG 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you guys, I really appreciate your feedback!

So I think I'll give a try to the Cool Rails in mid position. Which one do you think that I should pick? The neck version, right? Not the bridge one's?

I'll let you know how it sounds!!

Comment

Yes, the neck version.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I still think the PA-STK is a better choice. You've got two great humbuckers in there already.
        Why not give the guitar sweet noiseless singlecoil tones also?

If you go with a Cool Rails though, I agree with Mincer - neck version rather than bridge.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          I still think the PA-STK is a better choice. You've got two great humbuckers in there already.
          Why not give the guitar sweet noiseless singlecoil tones also?

If you go with a Cool Rails though, I agree with Mincer - neck version rather than bridge.
          Hi eclecticsynergy you mean the STK-1N, is that right? I would absolutely love it! So you mean the PA (that I already have at bridge), the Sentient (at neck) and the STK-1N in the middle, right? I think you're right, due to the fact that I already have the two Humbackers I would love to have a Single Coil sound too!

EDIT:
          I think you were talking about the Parallel Axis STK! Sorry, I was think of the STK-1N!
          But there's a big, big problem: I can't find that pickup, no one's seems have it available. Even on the Seymour Duncan official store!

Comment

I suspect the stk4 is the one he meant.
            The neck would be STK-S4N if so.

I don't think there is an stk-1n

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
              I suspect the stk4 is the one he meant.
              The neck would be STK-S4N if so.

I don't think there is an stk-1n
              eclecticsynergy was referring to the PA-STK Parallel Axis Stack. I have one in my parts bin, and I hope to finish the partscaster it's intended for later this summer.

The STK-S1 is the old Classic Stack for Strat which was replaced by the STK-S4 Classic Stack Plus a few years ago. I've owned both and the Plus sounds much closer to a single coil. The original Classic Stack is quiet, but it's also a bit dead in the high end like the original Fender Vintage Noiseless or Lace Sensor Gold.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thanks for confirming

Comment

Originally posted by simone_sdp View Post

Hi eclecticsynergy you mean the STK-1N, is that right? I would absolutely love it! So you mean the PA (that I already have at bridge), the Sentient (at neck) and the STK-1N in the middle, right? I think you're right, due to the fact that I already have the two Humbackers I would love to have a Single Coil sound too!

EDIT:
                  I think you were talking about the Parallel Axis STK! Sorry, I was think of the STK-1N!
                  But there's a big, big problem: I can't find that pickup, no one's seems have it available. Even on the Seymour Duncan official store!
                  Yes, the PA-STK. Fabulous pickup. Mine's paired with the PATB-3 and a PATB-1N in a Floydcaster.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by simone_sdp View Post

PS: There are plenty of PA-STKs up for sale on Reverb and eBay...

Comment

I did old school with my RG550. PAF Pro, Super Distortion and a DP402 in the middle.

Comment

Because its an 550 restoration, I'd buy a set of v7/8 pickups from eBay for $20. or maybe an inf set. Unless you know exActly what you want, those are quite competent.

Comment

Hi guys!
                          I'm re-opening this thread because no, I've not found a single coil for my Ibanez. I'm still searching for the PASTK-1 but nothing, seems not easy to find.
                          On Ebay I've found it on Ebay but it cost almost twice as it's price with additional 45€ for the shipping! It's really a lot so I'll just wait and I'll use the single coil I have, for now.

But I'm opening again this thread for another question related to my pickup!
                          I'm searching for new pots for volume and tone. I've seen the SDP-500 and SDP-250 for tone from Seymour Duncan but I really can't find any informations about them:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/single...-potentiometer

I want to use the 500 one's for the volume but it's a Logarithmic or a Linear one? On the website and on store they said "good for volume and for tone" so I assume that this is a linear one but I'm not sure...

Could you please help me to find a good 250K linear pot and a good 500K logarithmic pots?
                          There's an incredible confusion over the internet...

Thanks a lot for your help, as always guys!

Regards!
                          Last edited by simone_sdp; 08-14-2022, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X