APH-2 Slash Signature pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APH-2 Slash Signature pickups

Got them installed in my 1977 Aria Pro II Les Paul Custom, along with nice pots and 50's wiring several months ago, so I'm past the honeymoon phase. I just have to say...these pickups sound incredible. Seriously incredible. Great work SD!!!!!
    Last edited by cliffenstein; 05-20-2022, 03:28 PM.
    1988 Fender MIJ ST54 Hardtail Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2005 Edwards E-JR-100LTD/DC w/Gibson P90
    2012 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Mahogany Satin
    2015 Fender Road Worn '50s Stratocaster w/SD JB Jr
    2024 Gibson Les Paul Junior
    -------
    1997 Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    2021 Epic Amplification AR50
    2022 Mojotone British 800 2204​
    2022 Grand Mojotone JCW 2204

Don't they? I like the APH-1, which is what the Slash set was based on...basically 2 sides of the same coin. I always say like they are 2 giant sticks of butter.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yep, wonderful set. Mine are in a Mockingbird and it's a great match. Very sweet and sustainy.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Don't they? I like the APH-1, which is what the Slash set was based on...basically 2 sides of the same coin. I always say like they are 2 giant sticks of butter.
        How is the 1 set different from the 2 set? And are all 2 sets Slash signatures?

-EDIT ... I just read a big thread about it all right here on this forum...I'm good.
        Last edited by cliffenstein; 05-20-2022, 08:52 PM.
        -------

Comment

Originally posted by cliffenstein View Post

How is the 1 set different from the 2 set? And are all 2 sets Slash signatures?

-EDIT ... I just read a big thread about it all right here on this forum...I'm good.
          Yeah, I would have said to look up a few threads on that very subject. For some guitars, the 1 is the right choice, others, the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, I would have said to look up a few threads on that very subject. For some guitars, the 1 is the right choice, others, the 2.
            Well my maple neck, pancake mahogany, maple top, non-weight relieved, 9.2 lb LPC definitely loves the Slash signature set, I can tell you that much!!!
            -------

Comment

I haven't tried the "Slash" pups yet but one of my favorite neck pups is the APH-1 (bridge model), or a Jazz (bridge) with an A2 magnet. So I'm getting very close to the specs of a APH-2 (neck model), right? The APH-1 bridge model has slightly more winds than the neck model giving it more mids and output (8.4k) as opposed to the neck at 7.5k. The Slash neck is right at 8.3k.

Am I missing anything else that would make the Slash (APH-2) neck different than the APH-1 bridge?
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Played Sweet Child on APH-1's last night. The do indeed nail the Slash tone* - but they are great LP Rock/Blues pickups period.

*Full disclosure, I prefer my PG's for that song!
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I don't think I've ever played or learned a Slash tune, or really go for his sound, but the pickups rock.

Comment

Well my maple neck, pancake mahogany, maple top, non-weight relieved, 9.2 lb LPC definitely loves the Slash signature set, I can tell you that much!!!
                    What year, good sir? I have like 3 of those....

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

What year, good sir? I have like 3 of those....
                      1977…has the block letter PRO II script instead of the Diamond inlay. I kept the husk and replaced everything else, even the toggle and output jack to get to full Gibson spec. .815” at the first fret and a full inch at the 12th, so fairly thick for a 70’s LPC (I prefer thicker at that first fret area, but the guitar is just absolutely fantastic looking, feeling, and playing).
                      -------

Comment

Sorry man - late night. Got home from gig around three...

1977…has the block letter PRO II script instead of the Diamond inlay. I kept the husk and replaced everything else, even the toggle and output jack to get to full Gibson spec. .815” at the first fret and a full inch at the 12th, so fairly thick for a 70’s LPC (I prefer thicker at that first fret area, but the guitar is just absolutely fantastic looking, feeling, and playing).
                        Oh - sorry! I thought you meant 70's GIBSON's!!! I did almost buy a purple Pro II in the 70's though.

Either way - cool guitar, and yes, an A2P would sound great in there! Sorry man - gig last night. Got home around 3/4a

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Oh - sorry! I thought you meant 70's GIBSON's!!! I did almost buy a purple Pro II in the 70's though.

Either way - cool guitar, and yes, an A2P would sound great in there! Sorry man - gig last night. Got home around 3/4a
                          My 76 goldtop pretty much matched those specs. The guy before me routed it and dropped APH1s in it back before I bought it in 93 or 94.

Comment

Maple neck LP's rule!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Am I missing anything else that would make the Slash (APH-2) neck different than the APH-1 bridge?
                              It's difficult to put tonal stuff like this in words, but the Slash set has a smidgen more definition and "bite" than the original A-II Pro's. Dare I say, a slightly different flavor of PG?

Comment

Working...
                              X