How to re-create this cover look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to re-create this cover look?

I have a pair of scratched up covers that fit my Duncan Designed JB/Jazz set perfectly. If you've seen my "for sale" ad, you know how micro-cracked the bobbins are. How hard would it be to give them this look? It looks like something more complex than just wrinkle paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Duncan_Invader_with_cover-02.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	6175213

Powder coating, maybe?

Comment

It sure looks like powder coat. But that's an expensive mod. Krinkle paint is a heck of a lot cheaper (and quicker if you have to send them out to get powder coated) and I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference from 5 feet away.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, my Seth Lovers have that coating, and it is powder coated. It looks great, but is pretty fragile, so you have to be careful with it.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks guys. I don't want it to be fragile, so maybe just good ol' flat black.

Comment

I was going to suggest Brownells alumahyde II.
            It's an epoxy based coating that is very durable once cured. I've had it on a well used 870 shotgun for ~13 years and it's held up great.
            The matte black looks very similar to the op's picture.
            I sprayed it in several light coats, flashing with a hairdryer in between, then left it alone for a few days to cure. It does look like Brownells is out of stock currently though.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
              I was going to suggest Brownells alumahyde II.
              Sweet! Thanks for that link. That might be the way to go. I love, (in that video), what he's doing with the paper plate. Cool, easy affect.

Thanks 'stang.

Comment

Epoxy aircraft propeller paint could be a good option too, if the Brownell's remains unavailable.
                Likely a more durable formula than regular flat black spray.

Not exactly like the surface in the OP pic, but if you want a textured finish there are rattlecan options.
                Some interesting possibilities, even stonelike and hammered-looking types.

I used bronze hammertone spray on a mic body once and the effect is almost like semigloss because of the texture.
                Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-23-2022, 07:06 PM.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The hammered look could be cool too. Like the old Bell & Howell home movie projectors had.

Comment

Yeah, my Seth Lovers have that coating, and it is powder coated. It looks great, but is pretty fragile, so you have to be careful with it.
                    If it's actual powder coating, you don't have to baby it. You can take a hammer to metal that is powder coated and it won't flake off.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

If it's actual powder coating, you don't have to baby it. You can take a hammer to metal that is powder coated and it won't flake off.
                      I was wondering that myself. I thought powder coating was used quite a bit in auto part applications where ruggedness was a must.

Comment

That isn't the case with this stuff, but they do call it 'powder coating'.

Comment

That isn't the case with this stuff, but they do call it 'powder coating'.
                          So it's a marketing lie.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

So it's a marketing lie.
                            Could be, I am not an expert on the process. When I wanted to order mine, that's what they called it.

Comment

So it's a marketing lie.
                              I believe some powdercoat is actually anodized, and some is just a spray-on treatment.
                              It might also be that nickel silver simply doesn't have the surface strength for the finish to be as durable as it is on steel.
                              My son used to work in an industrial powdercoating plant; I'll ask him next time we talk if I think of it.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X