Black Winter or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

I like an aggressive, cutting upper-mid emphasis, kinda held back lower mids for added clarity, and a chunky, fast, tight, modern low-end. …
    sounds like a dimebucker to me!
    or maybe too over the top?
    or maybe that new jupiter model?
    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 05-31-2022, 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Dimebucker has more high end than anything.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, I've had the Dimebucker in the past. Didn't jive with it. Too scratchy and twangy for my taste.

Comment

look forward to your thoughts on them

Comment

Alright, reporting back!

I tried both pickups for a couple of days each. I tried the Nazgul first. I really like it! It's bright, aggressive, and surprisingly high output (I was expecting something kinda mid-output based on the DCR, but it's pretty hot!). At first I thought, "yeah, it's gonna be hard to beat this."

But then I tried the Black Winter. Man, this is my pickup. It's ridiculously hot, but still very very clear. It's also chunkier and less harsh. It's VERY aggressive, but I feel the mids are placed just right. The Nazgul had a bit of a honk and clank that was inherent. The Black Winter has a bit of that clank as well (I feel that's kind of a Duncan thing that I've found in all of their ceramic pups), but it seems more even in while still maintaining aggression and focus. It's just the perfect pickup for me.

Probably going to keep the Nazgul to keep in another guitar, but for now, the Black Winter beat the Nazgul. I don't regret ordering the Nazgul, though. Like I said, it's a cool pickup, and it was definitely worth trying. But I think the 'Winter is my favorite pickup!
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-08-2022, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I've had a Nazgül in 2 LPs. Ended up taking it out of both and put an SH6 in one and a Black Winter in the other.

Black Winter for the win.
              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

The cool thing about the BW is that you can also play non-heavy music with it and it does fine, unlike the Nazgul.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Black Winter bridge is a special pickup. Don't know how they managed to create a pup that is ultra-hot, does everything it does, and responds so well to tone/volume adjustments and coil-splitting. Probably my favorite pickup of all time TBH.

Comment

I was thinking the Fishman Will Adlers that I have in my H-400 were my favorite pickups, but I think I like the Black Winter better. It's similar, just kind of extra. It's chunkier, hotter, and more agressive. I'm surprised with the note clarity even with so much output.

Man, I really hope the gold-covered Distortion Neck that I ordered to go with it keeps up!

Comment

The Black Winter is amazing and my favorite Duncan. You should check out the neck too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        The cool thing about the BW is that you can also play non-heavy music with it and it does fine, unlike the Nazgul.
                        That is what I have found. It is powerful enough to push my Excelsior to break up and give me a great British Invasion sound. Definitely more versatile than people expect from a "metal" pickup.

Comment

Working...
                        X