banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full Shred vs The Breed?! How do they stack up to each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Shred vs The Breed?! How do they stack up to each other?

Hey guys here's a new shootout video I did. I love the Full Shred, honestly. It does the things for me that the classic JB can't/won't. That being said I love the Breed by Steve Vai and DiMarzio too! So why not let 'em loose in a head to head and see how they fare, said I

What do you think?

P.S. Smash that subscribe and like button too if you don't mind

Full Shred sounded brighter and clearer. Breed sounded fatter and hotter.

I liked them both, TBH.

Good shootout, man!

Comment

Two of my favorite pickups!

I agree with Rex.

They are both very articulate, yet approach that articulation very differently.

I always felt that the full shred is the most dimarzio-esque duncan.
      bumping up the treble for the breed or cutting if on the full shred gets them even closer sounding.
      Last edited by Juanhanglo; 05-29-2022, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Full Shred sounded crunchier and more articulate. Breed was warmer and seemed a little bigger and deeper.
        Never had a Full Shred myself, but I've been quite happy with The Breed in superstrats.

The Breed neck also makes a very nice medium-output bridge pickup.
        Makes me wonder whether the same might be true of the Full Shred neck.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
          Full Shred sounded brighter and clearer. Breed sounded fatter and hotter.

I liked them both, TBH.

Good shootout, man!
          Thank you so much man
          Yes the FS sounded brighter and clearer thanks to its more pronounced highs. I like that a lot especially in darker sounding tone woods like mahogany.
          I can say with confidence that it sounds incredible in my Charvel San Dimas and that beast is alder body and yeah I like both pickups too. Hard to choose just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Juanhanglo View Post
            Two of my favorite pickups!

I agree with Rex.

They are both very articulate, yet approach that articulation very differently.

I always felt that the full shred is the most dimarzio-esque duncan.
            bumping up the treble for the breed or cutting if on the full shred gets them even closer sounding.
            U have good taste sir

Definitely very articulate sounding pickups and that's what I like. In fact this is why I prefer the Full Shred over the JB that my Charvel came with stock.
            You're right and I feel like the FS is almost an Evolution with less mids (maybe more scooped?) which is very different to most Duncans.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              Full Shred sounded crunchier and more articulate. Breed was warmer and seemed a little bigger and deeper.
              Never had a Full Shred myself, but I've been quite happy with The Breed in superstrats.

You nailed those descriptions. That's literally what I felt and heard as I tracked the guitars for this video. In fact on that modern sounding heavy riff on the single note riff-age I thought the Breed was best even though the Full Shred carried those notes razor sharply/precisely. Can't go wrong with either pickup especially if you are a heavy player but want tight definition in rhythm and lead.

Pick up a Full Shred and take her for a spin.

Comment

Thanks a lot for watching and the feedback, guys

I can see why Mark Morton from Lamb of God spec'd his Dominion closely off the Breed. It's really a satisfying pickup for players of that sort and no doubt why I am very happy with it (thank you Steve Vai). Having both the Full Shred and Breed I'm well covered. The Full Shred for me fills that space where I want an almost Evolution bridge style scream in a high gain lead situation but with ever so slightly scooped mids, that Duncan sizzle on heavy rhythms and pretty good sounding cleans too. This is one pickup that responds very well to pick attack as well. In terms of raw power both sound virtually identical. Seymour nailed the Full Shred!

I almost wonder why Mr. Lynch doesn't play them in his ESP's! Oh wait, that's because he's got the Screamin' Demon and The Hunter too

P.S. I gotta get my hands on those next

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                  Full Shred neck can really nail the tele on steroids thing that so many people love about PAFs.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                    Full Shred neck can really nail the tele on steroids thing that so many people love about PAFs.
                    That sounds good! I must get the neck version to complete my set. Then again I really want the Screamin' Demon which can also be used in the neck but I wonder how well it'll balance with Full Shred bridge in that case...?

Comment

Originally posted by RolanTHUNDER View Post

That sounds good! I must get the neck version to complete my set. Then again I really want the Screamin' Demon which can also be used in the neck but I wonder how well it'll balance with Full Shred bridge in that case...?
                      I never used a full shred bridge, but have use the FS neck with Demon in the bridge, and that was awesome and incredibly versatile

Comment

Working...
                      X