CS Psychedelic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Psychedelic

I recently purchased a player series Strat with Duncan pickups. I took the pickgaurd off to ID the pups and was pleasantly surprised to find custom shop psychedelic pickups under the hood. But, I feel like they seem kind of lifeless. I’ve tried the guitar with the maple neck it came with and a rosewood Warmoth. I played it on a gig and even had some people comment that my other Strat sounded better (which has cheap dragon fire pickups). I’m discouraged. Could it be the pickups are fine and the body of the guitar is sucking the life out of them? I’m in the process of building a partscaster and May consider trying the psychedelics in that to see if there’s a difference. Curious of your thoughts. (btw, I am a fan of SD products, which is why I’m baffled)

I believe the CS Psychs are the lowest output of Duncan singles. I would first raise them as high as possible without getting string pull. If that doesn't start getting tones you like, next I would try swapping the whole pickguard wiring package to another guitar to figure out how much of what you are hearing is the guitar body/neck itself.

Comment

Very low output strat pickups are an acquired taste, and they don't work for everything. They tend to be very scooped/bright and weak. That often translates into 'not too impressive' when playing with a band. A very mid-forward amp/pedal combination will help a bunch to get them sounding good.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I think it all comes down to what you are expecting and the sounds you need. I'd test them to make sure they are wired properly, and that you are getting the correct DCR reading.

But you won't know if it is the guitar or the pickups until you try other pickups in there. You might just be used to higher output pickups. Good news is that you could sell the pickups you have and make some $$.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What pickups are in the Strat that sounds better?

Comment

Originally posted by veil View Post
            What pickups are in the Strat that sounds better?
            The OP mentioned "cheap dragon fire pickups"

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

The OP mentioned "cheap dragon fire pickups"
              My bad, I'm unfamiliar with that brand. I thought it was a colorful way of saying they were pretty hot, haha!

Comment

i don't know the CS psychedelic PUs in particular but i have similar Pickups in a Strat style build (late 60 grey bottom replicas) and i agree with GuitarStv.
                I personally do like them

Comment

I’m sure the wiring is correct. In fact it’s pristine. Most likely was purchased as a loaded pickgaurd.
                  I plan on trying then in another Strat just to see if it makes a difference. I’d like to swap for the dragon fire to see that as well but that one has a humbucker on bridge and the player is not routed for that. All great comments however! Thank you!
                  I did a multimeter test on them as well. They are at low 5’s. The dragons are 5.1, 5.7 and bucker is 6.1. Very different sound and feel.

Comment

Comment

What I've found is that DC readings are not the end-all tell for output. I have Bootstrap 54 V Pros wound to 5.85K each and they "seem hot" compared to the Lindy Fralin Woodstock set I have that are 6K N&M and a 6.6K bridge. Lots of things factor in.

But that said, the stock Player pickups were really good. I have a 2021 and it fits right in there - good single tones (better than the ceramics) but enough power to rock.

I'd say give the psychics a good workout before dumping them. I did with the Fralins. They came to me in a loaded body. It's a Floyded strat and I wanted something hot, but I've learned to work with these.

I wouldn't blame you for dumping them. My favorite set of traditional singles is the TexMex set - I tend to rock and metal.

Comment

Also, just because they might be expensive pickups that are usually though of as 'good' doesn't mean they work for you.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Bobstratgib View Post
                          I’m sure the wiring is correct. In fact it’s pristine. Most likely was purchased as a loaded pickgaurd.
                          I plan on trying then in another Strat just to see if it makes a difference. I’d like to swap for the dragon fire to see that as well but that one has a humbucker on bridge and the player is not routed for that. All great comments however! Thank you!
                          I did a multimeter test on them as well. They are at low 5’s. The dragons are 5.1, 5.7 and bucker is 6.1. Very different sound and feel.
                          The Dragonfires likely have ceramic mags, which will give a light wind more output and crunch than you'd expect from the DCR.

I have an older Dragonfire fatpole Strat set with ceramics: only wound to 5.5K, yet fairly muscular compared to vintage types.
                          They sound good, but I generally prefer alnico myself. It's more of a feel thing than about tone. Ceramic feels stiffer to me.

As an aside, Fender's ceramic MIM Strat pickups sounded pretty great too, though they didn't quite bounce the way alnico does.
                          Still, very underrated tonewise IMO.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                            Very low output strat pickups are an acquired taste, and they don't work for everything. They tend to be very scooped/bright and weak. That often translates into 'not too impressive' when playing with a band. A very mid-forward amp/pedal combination will help a bunch to get them sounding good.
                            +1

I once assumed I would like low output single coils because I like low output humbuckers, Filtertrons, and P-90s, but I find the high treble emphasis to be too cloying. I like how some hotter single coils can tame the treble and give you more body. I would do what GuitarStv suggests if you want to try working with them. Nothing wrong with them not being your thing though.

Comment

Working...
                            X