banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the hottest, most metal Tele bridge pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the hottest, most metal Tele bridge pickup?

Super Distortion T? Hot Rails? Anything else?

I'm thinking about picking up a Squier Esquire. I love the looks of a traditional Tele. While I do like the tone of a traditional Tele bridge single coil, realistically, I wouldn't be using it very often. I kinda want the guitar to be deceptively vintage-looking while being metal-sounding. I want it tight with a nice midrange aggression. Nothing too specific. Just want a metal tele, TBH.

So what should I be looking at? I don't want to go CS because I want to keep this project cheap too.

Thanks!

I have two Teles one is a Hot Rails the other is a Super D. to my ears the Hot Rails has more bite and grind. I can definitely rock out with both guitars. If I were to play high gain I would definitely grab my black Tele with the SD Hot Rails first. The SD has a lot of bottom which I love, Hot Rail has a great mid-punch.

Comment

I'd say Hot Rails, for sure.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you, dudes!

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        I have two Teles one is a Hot Rails the other is a Super D. to my ears the Hot Rails has more bite and grind. I can definitely rock out with both guitars. If I were to play high gain I would definitely grab my black Tele with the SD Hot Rails first. The SD has a lot of bottom which I love, Hot Rail has a great mid-punch.

Which is hotter?

Comment

Or another question...is the output of the pickup the most important, or the tone? Past a certain point, compression sets in and you get more squishy, but not necessarily louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Or another question...is the output of the pickup the most important, or the tone? Past a certain point, compression sets in and you get more squishy, but not necessarily louder.
            Good point.

What full-size humbucker is the the Hot Rails most comparable to?

Comment

I'd say maybe neutral and crunchy like the Custom..
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

I have a Tone Zone T in one of mine (with a P90 neck) and it rocks. But I bet the Hot Rails is both hotter and crunchier.
                When I chose the TZ I was more concerned with fatness than high output.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  Thank you, dudes!

Which is hotter?
                  The Hot Rails is a tad hotter. It is also more compressed and not as full as Seymour Duncan's full-sized high output pickups. Do not read this as a dig on the pickup or that it sounds thin because it sounds phenomenal. It just has its own flavor. If you are looking to turn a Tele into a beast it is the way to go. The Super Distortion seems a bit fuller and has a great bloom to the notes. The Super Distortion didn't seem to get me over the top when I used it with my post-hardcore gig. I am sure if I gave it more time I could have gotten it dialed in. Both are great-sounding guitars with different personalities.

Comment

Good point.

I'd actually compare it to the Invader.

Comment

I think that is very close comparison. They both have that mid forward sound where as the Custom sounds a bit mid scooped to my ear.

Comment

Interesting. Thank you guys! So far, the Hot Rails has me more interested.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Comment

Interesting. Thank you guys! So far, the Hot Rails has me more interested. Is there anything else I should be looking at?
                          I would consider a split on the pickup, push/pull. Both sound great split and get you back to a more traditional tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

I would consider a split on the pickup, push/pull. Both sound great split and get you back to a more traditional tone.
                            Yeah, that's a good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                              I'd say maybe neutral and crunchy like the Custom..
                              It's been a while since I had a Hot Rails, but the Custom has been one of my go-to pickups for 20 years. IMO they don't sound anything alike. The Hot Rails is much more mid-forward than the Custom and nowhere near as bright.

This.

A Hot Rails doesn't have the same fullness, but their overall voices are very similar.

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                              X