Invader Neck SH8N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invader Neck SH8N

I was going down a rabbit hole of trying to figure out what Gibson were thinking when they designed the Dirty Fingers (44awg but only 6,000-7,000 turns, 16k DCR, a double thick ceramic magnet, and no wax potting?? So weird!) when I came across this video comparing the Dirty Fingers, Dimarzio X2N, and the Duncan Invader: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB9wD-qUJuQ.

I'm indifferent to the musical stylings of Blink182, but the songs here show a good range of clean and dirty sounds. Incidentally, I preferred the Dirty Fingers compared to the X2N and bridge Invader, but the most interesting thing for me was when he puts an Invader neck model in the bridge. The player didn't like this sound, but I really did; I'm not a high output humbucker guy these days

Anyway, it got me curious about this pickup's design. DCR of 7.5k, inductance of 4.3H according to Darth Phineas' measurements, 8kHz resonance peak (unloaded, I presume)...but with three ceramic magnets, those huge hex caps... and a 0.10µf cap on one of the coils?

The cap is rolling off...something. Treble maybe? Is this some weird way of mismatching the coils' resistances? Why not just under- or overwind one of them? If you clip the cap does it become even brighter?

Has anyone replaced a triple magnet design with Alnico magnets? Or used a single Alnico magnet in this pickup?

Anyone use those big ass hex screws in an otherwise more "traditional" PAF designs? I imagine they create more inductance, maybe?

Just some thoughts on a lazy, bored Sunday. Has anyone messed around with this pickup?

IIRC the cap on the neck Invader is a bass cut; anyone who is more knowledgeable feel free to correct me.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yep, bass cut cap.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
      X