• Show
Clear All

• Partscaster Science Project

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220611_170945.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	6179059 ​​​​​​
    I have a partscaster with an H-P-H arrangement (2 humbuckers, with a P-90 in the middle) single tone, single volume, controlled (for now) with a 5-way switch. The 2 mini toggles are currently coil splits for the humbuckers. I'm going to change out the toggles, to become 3-position series/parallel/split controls for each humbucker. My question is, has anyone set up a series/parallel wiring situation between a humbucker and a P-90, and if so, how did it sound? I'm considering that as an additional option for blade positions 2 & 4... Any thoughts?

How strong are the humbuckers in question? And are they already wired for autosplit in positions 2 & 4?
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

There are a few current threads in P-Rails and how they can be overpowering in series mode. You would basically be replacing a cool rail with a full strength humbucker. That would be a lot of output if you ran the full humbucker. But running one coil of the humbucker with a P90 in series seems more likely to give you a good sound.

I say try it and see!
      What pickups are you using?

Comment

The neck is 8.6k Kent Armstrong Vintage 0, and the bridge is 9.1k Kent Armstrong Vintage +0. The current wiring is straight basic, each pickup wired directly to the 5-way, then out to the tone/volume. The current toggles are simple switch-to-ground coil splits.

Comment

Okay, I just got out my DMM, and confirmed that the pickups are currently wired in parallel through the 5-way, which is intuitive but I just wanted to make sure, reading is roughly 4.2k in positions 2 & 4. The P-90, a Rainville Signature, measures 8.3k, so yeah, it's gonna be HOT in series!

Comment

Originally posted by magillver View Post
            . My question is, has anyone set up a series/parallel wiring situation between a humbucker and a P-90, and if so, how did it sound? I'm considering that as an additional option for blade positions 2 & 4... Any thoughts?
            I've done such things in two "experimental" partcasters.

If your experience is the same than mine...
            -a mid P90 in series with a HB should be (too) greasy and noisy.
            -A P90 in series with ONE coil of a HB should remind Brian May tones and can be noiseless. Same thing for a P90 in series with a HB itself in parallel, with a lil' less beef and no noiseless option.
            -A P90 in parallel with one coil of a HB can emulate the 2d and 4th positions of a Strat, with a bit more beef and without hum if properly wired. Similar thing with a P90 // to a HB itself in parallel, minus the noiseless option.

FWIW (=my 2 cents). :-)

Last edited by freefrog; 06-12-2022, 07:56 AM.
            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I have done similar but different. Seymour Duncan Vintage P90s neck and bridge and a SD Dimebag Darrell in the middle.

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	6179116
              And others with variations

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	6179117 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0078.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	6179118 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	6179119

Name:	IMG_0200.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	6179120

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	6179121

Name:	IMG_0235-2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	6179122

Name:	IMG_0236-2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	6179123
              A P90 in any configuration with other type pickups is glorious. The first photo is a Warmoth tele was a science project for mixing alnico and Ceramic magnet pickups. The 2 and 4 positions add the Dimebag Darrell pickup with neck or bridge P90 and adds pick attack and articulation with the warmth and grit of the P90s. Sometimes I am unable to ensure that the middle pickup is reverse wound-reverse polarity, but these guitars sound fabulous.

Comment

Working...
              X