Deciding on a bridge pickup for an HSS Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on a bridge pickup for an HSS Strat

I converting a Strat to HSS. Alder body, rosewood fb. I’ll be keeping EJ pickups in the neck and middle position and am considering a Duncan 59, Custom Custom or Pearly Gates in the bridge position.

I plan to use a Mojotone HSS harness (had a good experience with their Tele control plate). The superswitch does the coiltap thing in position 2. 500K pots and resister caps getting the values right for the single coils.

I play primarily Classic rock. ZZ Top, AC/DC, Zep, ABB, etc.

For those that have experience with these pickups, could you share any recommendations or preferences?

59/Custom trembucker. I've got one in my Player HSS paired with two SSL-1s, auto coil split for P2.

Comment

I like the 59/Custom, too, but would also recommend to check out the Whole Lotta Humbucker and High Voltage pickups, as well.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Of the three you mentioned, I’d go Pearly Gates. You might also consider the JB.

Comment

I’m also a big fan of the Custom-I’ve got one in my Les Paul. That would also allow you to play more modern stuff.

Comment

Whole Lotta Humbucker and High Voltage sound intriguing...how would they differ from the pups the OP posted? Also, would you include the AIIP as an option, or stick to the others? And how much do you think the EJ singles in neck and middle factor in on the decision?

Comment

do you want a big volume jump when switching from the single coils to the bucker? i love the pearly gates bridge pup with vintage single coils. i also love the cc in the bridge of a strat

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                do you want a big volume jump when switching from the single coils to the bucker? i love the pearly gates bridge pup with vintage single coils. i also love the cc in the bridge of a strat
                I would prefer that the bridge pickup balance pretty well with the other pickups. Can you tell me more about what you like about the PG with the vintage singles?

Comment

the output is a better match than a hotter bucker and the voicing of the pg works well with vintage type single coils like the ssl2 that i had the pgb paired with. there is still a little jump in volume. if you really want to keep the volume match as close as possible, a jazz neck or aph1n in the bridge spot are great choices. i dont mind a bit of a boost when switching to the bucker so the pgb worked great for me

Comment

Many players choose HSS precisely for a hotter, smoother sound from the bridge.
                    If you want only a small boost when switching from the singles, you have to stay with vintage output.
                    As mentioned, even a vintage output humbucker will likely be a bit louder than your EJ singlecoils.

I think the PG is a good recommendation though I've never had one in a Strat myself. (I have a PG+, but that's louder.)
                    The 59B does very nicely with vintage singles and IMO it has a fuller low end.
                    Whole Lotta bridge is also worth considering IMO. A bit stronger than a 59B, but with richer mids and sweeter sustain.
                    A Jazz could be a good choice too. If it's too bright, you can swap a warmer magnet in and convert it into an Alnico II Pro.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The more I read here, the more it seems Pearly Gates or maybe High Voltage make the most sense. Just realized the Whole Lotta Humbucker doesn't have a trembucker available. I could see the A2Pro working, although probably warmer than the PG.

Anybody have any thoughts on how the 59 would match up? Obvious vintage style but bright and mid-scooped, could give a strong, open humbucker tone.

Comment

Custom Custom might be the thing. That A2 with the Custom wind might be just the thing for a strat. The bridge position will have that middy boost to it, but will pair well with the middle single when split in position 2.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone have a schematic for a HSS guitar that uses 500K pots for humbucker, and 250s for SCs? Is there some clever way to do this that uses 500K pots but then adds resistance when SCs are selected?

For that matter, is there a way to do a coil tap of a HB, and have it sound like a strat with correct pots?

Comment

you can add a 470k resistor when the singles are engaged to simulate a 250k pot.

the 59 can be great if you want something more mid scooped, they usually arent 4 cond so you couldnt split it unless you order it that way specifically

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                              Does anyone have a schematic for a HSS guitar that uses 500K pots for humbucker, and 250s for SCs? Is there some clever way to do this that uses 500K pots but then adds resistance when SCs are selected?
                              Making the singles see 250K on an HSS with a 500K volume is pretty easy; you'd use two 470K resistors.
                              One attaches to the lug on your switch where the neck pickup connects.
                              The second attaches to the lug where the middle connects.
                              Both run to ground, on the back of a pot or wherever is most convenient.

It's possible to use two separate pots instead - a 250K/500K stacked pot is available too. But I think it's simpler just to use resistors.
                              Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                              For that matter, is there a way to do a coil tap of a HB, and have it sound like a strat with correct pots?
                              It only takes one half of a DPDT switch to coil split a humbucker. I don't see why you couldn't use the other half to engage a resistor to ground.
                              It would go from the switch lug where the hot lead of the humbucker attaches, to the unused half of the DPDT, and from there to ground.
                              FWIW, I haven't seen this done - when players split a bridge they generally want it bright.
                              Frankly I'm not sure it'd be worth the trouble. If it were, I think more folks would probably be doing it.

The thing is, you can't really get a low output humbucker to sound Stratlike when it's split.
                              Some of the high output hums split rather well, but in this case that isn't an option.

Vintage output humbuckers sound weak when split. It's intrinsic to the design, so you'll probably want "resistor split" wiring.
                              This simply puts a resistor between the split switch and ground.
                              What it does is keep some of the second coil in your output: it's cleaner than full series but not as wimpy as a full split.
                              PRS uses a 2,2K resistor on bridge pickups and that value generally works well for PAF types.
                              But you could go higher (or lower) if you wanted more (or less) body in the sound. They use 1.1K on neck pickups, for instance.

If you're doing split wiring, it might also be worth it to wire for autosplit in position two.
                              You'll get a brighter tone sound in that position, though it won't be true Fendery quack.
                              (This would only involve one extra wire.)
                              Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 06-28-2022, 01:19 AM.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X