banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does guitar need to be setup again after pickup upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does guitar need to be setup again after pickup upgrade?

Hi guys. Does guitar need to be setup again after pickup upgrade?

Thank you

I will say, not necessarily, but you should check it and ensure you did not bump/move anything on the bridge. Unless it is a Floyd, then all bets are off.

You will most likely need to adjust the new pickup height.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Not at all. Sometimes when careful I can do pickup swaps without even changing the strings.

Comment

On a Floyd Rose guitar it's actually easier and much, much quicker to swap pickups without removing the strings. Just unsolder, dive the Floyd, pull the pickup, squeeze the replacement pickup in, solder, adjust height. Need 1 or 2 rags to protect the pickups and the body finish. Black Winter bridge took a bit more patience since it's thicker and I had to be extra careful.

Comment

In most cases I would say no. Just will need to calibrate the pups to the guitar. Floyd Guitars are the best for pup changes IMHO. Just pop out the springs, pull the Floyd do your work pop the Floyd and springs back in and you should be in tune and good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by rango View Post
            Hi guys. Does guitar need to be setup again after pickup upgrade?
            No, except the pickup height of course.

Comment

I concur - if nothing else is changed during the swap, no setup necessary.
              If the new pickup is similar in output to the old one, try to set the height exactly the same to start.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'd say no, too, unless you had to run a bridge ground or something like that.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment

on a tele bridge, maybe. depending how much the screws for the saddles got moved.

if you remove the batwing pickguard of an sg you should tape the height adjustment screws of the ABR/nashville in advance so they don’t change position

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                      if you remove the batwing pickguard of an sg you should tape the height adjustment screws of the ABR/nashville in advance so they don’t change position
                      Well ****, now someone tells me...

Comment

Working...
                      X