Epiphone LP pickup issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone LP pickup issue

So I recently picked up a used Epiphone Les Paul standard.
    switched out the pick ups -
    Sh-14 custom 5 in the bridge Screamin demon in the neck

when I flip the toggle up to the neck position the demon sounds great. However, when I go to the middle are bridge positions I don't get any sound unless my volume knob is somewhere in the mid range 4-6 ish on the knob. Even then the guitar doesn't sound right.

Thought maybe a bad pot but I switched it out and the problem persists. I followed the Duncan wiring chart for the LP.

Anyone wanna give me some direction here on what might be the issue?

Welcome to the forum!

Things like this are difficult to diagnose without pics. Also, post the diagram you used. Do you have the means to test the Custom 5 by itself with a meter, or wiring up directly to the jack? We have to find out if there is something up with that pickup.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

sounds like the neck pup is wired fine but the bridge isnt. if you have a meter check your connections and make sure everything is grounded properly. like dave said, good clear detailed pics of the wiring would help

Comment

Th Click image for larger version

Name:	c763b3e31b8e3df5b16d87ea77f0b874.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	6182637

Comment

This is the diagram I used, except my toggle switch isn't wired direct, there is a plug connection.

I'll try to upload some pics this weekend, my work week has been murderous.

Thanks for replying guys!

Comment

The diagram is correct...no problem there. It is highly unlikely that there is a problem with the C5 pup. 99.9% likely that the problem is with the wiring/soldering. As Dave suggested, lots of very clear pics of the connections in the control cavity are needed to figure this out.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelshep View Post
              I don't get any sound unless my volume knob is somewhere in the mid range 4-6 ish on the knob.
              I've seen this symptom before, but it has been several years ago. IIRC, the pup was reverse phase. You might try reversing your green and black wires. Was the pup new?

Comment

I might try that. I'm gonna break out my multimeter and do some testing also.
                No not new. Picked it up used at a decent price on eBay.

It could be an issue with the soldering/wiring as GutarDoc suggested. I'd say my soldering skills are probably amateur.

I did replace 2 pickups on a Jackson dinky and a volume pot and didn't have any issues with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Steelshep View Post
                  No not new. Picked it up used at a decent price on eBay.
                  A previous owner may have flipped the mag. If you put your meter on millivolts, red lead on black, and black lead on green, (red & white connected together), you should get a positive voltage as you bring a screwdriver up against the coils, and a negative voltage as you yank the screwdriver away.

Comment

Working...
                  X