Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trembucker coils copper shield, why?

Hi!
    Why Duncan has shielding coils in Trembucker?
    Regular SH hasn't shielding.
    Maybe they make prevent more noise? Maybe reduce high end?
    Do you know the reason why Duncan does this?

Are the coils exposed, no cover? It might be to avoid a string catching the bobbin and destroying the coil when you throw the vibrato.

Comment

I haven't seen shielding coils on my 59 / Custom or other Trembuckers.

Are you talking about the shielding around the wires inside the plastic sheath or the fifth, bare, wire inside the sheath?

The screening inside the sheath is there to (1) stop the individual wires picking up hum between the pickup and the ends, and (2) because, I suspect, the cables they buy come like that anyway. It holds the individual wires together before the outer sheath is extruded on, and stops the individual wires' insulation from sticking to the sheath.

The bare wire / baseplate ground stops the baseplate from transferring hum or eddy currents. It makes contact with the screening foil inside the cable all along their lengths. Note, however, the bare wire should always go directly to ground on the back of a pot casing, never to a switch or pot terminal.

Comment

He’s referring to the copper tape around the coils under the cloth tape. I’ve noticed that too. Don’t have an answer as to why.

Comment

it's not a trembucker thing as far as i know.
          vintage output buckers don't have it!
          it starts with moderate output buckers.
          the demon SH-12 has the copper shielding also.
          and yes it’s for shielding, therefore less noise…
          Last edited by ToneFiddler; 07-05-2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

it is a trembucker thing, but some other pups have it too. i have an old pgb trembucker that has it. i assume its both for shielding and to tame a touch of brightness which may be desirable for a trem loaded guitar, but i have no actual knowledge as to why they do it

Comment

Working...
            X