X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha sized momentary switch combined with pot

Hi guys,
    So I've been using these for a while and they work fine:

However, it seems to only be sized in 6.8 mm diameter with a 24.7 mm overall shaft height.

The problem is I'm building a Japanese Jackson RR3 from parts. The control plate has slightly smaller holes that are common with Asian guitars (about 6 mm in diameter I think) and the pot needs to be shorter--the kind that works with Strat pickguards.

I could probably back the pot down in the guitar with a washer and be okay there, but the diameter thing isn't working. There isn't even enough thread poking through to attach a washer on the outside of the control plate.

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find a momentary switch pot in this import guitar size. Or is it possible to find a momentary pot without the black plastic switch that will still cut out when pressed by wiring from one of the six terminal lugs to ground? I find it hard to believe that only Shadow makes such a thing and it would seem to be easy to rig something similar up one's self from off the shelf parts.

Since the control plate is metal I don't think my regular taper reamer will enlarge the hole and it will probably look bad if I try. I am sure there are probably taper reamers designed specifically for metal.

Thanks.

I find the description of that kill pot rather amusing... it wants you to sacrifice the $30 kill pot to preserve your $10 3-Way switch.
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 07-07-2022, 08:52 AM.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Kill pots/switches are available everywhere nowadays.

Comment

GuitarDoc , thanks. In reality like most things they are not MSRP. I have found them on Amazon for about $13.

Some people complain about the pot. It feels like...well, an Alpha pot relative to something like a Bournes pot. More fragile with less smooth movement. I assumed the bulk of the cost was in the locking mechanism that keeps the volume at 100% so it does not shift when the killswitch is pressed, as well as a spring mechanism that can withstand thousands of presses.

I just did not want to be stuck with one of those cheesy, tacky looking red square type switches that people drill holes in their guitars to install.

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't put one of those square types in any of my guitars either...especially red!

I actually like the stiffer action on the Alpha pots. Bournes pots, if I remember correctly, have a very light feel to them. I tend to set my pots and expect them to stay there until I purposely change them...not like I beat my guitars around with lots of acrobatics, but just saying.

Comment

Plus those on Amazon are $10 cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
              Since the control plate is metal I don't think my regular taper reamer will enlarge the hole and it will probably look bad if I try. I am sure there are probably taper reamers designed specifically for metal.
              I've used my reamer on Asian Tele control plates before with no problem. You need to go slow and careful, but many of those reamers, (chassis reamers), were made for metal to begin with. I've also done it with a small curved or round fine file. You're only removing a small amount of metal. Might take 5 to 10 minutes, but for one hole, or two, that's never been a problem.

Comment

There must be an import version because my Jackson came with a kill pot and the holes weren't reamed larger for it.

Comment

I've used the push button switches from TesiSwitch both locking and momentary they are rated at 500,000 pushes and are about $13 on eBay.
                  It's funny how some stories became historic,
                  especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                  But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Sorry all. I've been away a while modding my guitars.

I did find a metric sized push/pull pot on Amazon made by a company called MusicLily. They are probably just rebranded Alphas. But I did buy a five pack of Alphas and they were too large for metric sized holes, which in my experience is usually not the case.

Anyway here are the metric sized:

And the Alphas that I thought would fit but did not (no worries--they will be used in another project):

Thanks as always for all replies.

Comment

I just picked up one of those Amazon pots to try in my HH Strat. It should be here Friday.

Comment

Securb , they feel okay so far. They feel like Alphas relative to Bournes and CTS pots. If you've handled all three of those back to back you'll know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                          Securb , they feel okay so far. They feel like Alphas relative to Bournes and CTS pots. If you've handled all three of those back to back you'll know what I mean.
                          Inflames626 I have it in my hand right now. I like the feel of the pot. The action of the switch feels right also. I am going to shoot down to our space in a bit to pick up my Strat and pop it in.

Comment

Working...
                          X