A Tale Of 2 Little59's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tale Of 2 Little59's

Greetings all~ I happened across 2 spare Little59b's & a pickguard to match, & was wondering what I could try to get a dynamite setup,,, 1-vol, 1-tone , no dipswitches but 'maybe' a push/pull somewhere in the mix.... I've been a big fan of Lil59's for decades, but only in the bridge pos. & an auto tap when mixed with a SC middle, and the 59's split coils on their own don't excite... Ideal for me would be the always fat 59 alone in #1, & the same for the neck in #3.... If I went w/a 3way switch, I'd want as quacky a sound as possible, so wondering what combination of the 4 coils offer me something usably funky (quacky) in the #2....
    Yes, I'm aware that a 5way would give me many more options, but I tend to get lost when having too many options.... So, yeah, a quacky as hell #2 pos....
    Again, push/pull(s) an option... Thoughts, sounds, & ops??
    Many thnx in advance

I'd do something simple, like a master split option, or have 2 series/parallel switches.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What you need, ideally, is a 3-way Superswitch. Me and Mincer, (above), have found one online. (I'll try to find the link.)

That would allow full neck and bridge humbucker in #1 and #3, while allowing neck-side split coils in parallel in #2.

P.S. I'm not totally happy with the quality of that switch. I would use a standard 5-way Superswitch and use an acrylic or wooden little block at the switch ends to make it a short-throw 3-way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I'd do something simple, like a master split option, or have 2 series/parallel switches.
        I'm glad you chimed in,, Kindly elaborate as best you're able on both options, & schematics would help me visualize it. Thnx Dave~

Comment

Master split would be done like this, using a push-pull or DPDT switch. Doing it this way splits to neck-side coils, keeping it noise-cancelling. (When both pickups are on.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	push-pull_zozoe.png
Views:	180
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	6185367

Comment

For ease, I'd probably do the master split, like above. I have a Music Man set up like that with an S1 switch.

Comment

If you like skanks, I would recommend a blender knob. That way you get about 5 different sounds of mid skank. Neck with a little bridge blended in, neck with more bridge blended in, middle position, bridge with a little neck blended in, bridge with more neck blended in.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                If you like skanks, I would recommend a blender knob. That way you get about 5 different sounds of mid skank. Neck with a little bridge blended in, neck with more bridge blended in, middle position, bridge with a little neck blended in, bridge with more neck blended in.
                I love skanks in general, but what does it mean in this context?

Comment

Originally posted by piblock View Post

I love skanks in general, but what does it mean in this context?
                  Yes, I as well am curious about this 'skank', but I am an habitual employer of the Blender as I have them in ALL my 3 p/u guitars, but have always wondered how to wire one up with only 2 pups w/a master tone & a master tone....
                  It's possible for anyone to link me or show me the schematic or rendering....
                  Thnx again~

Comment

By skanks I mean a very quacky middle position with multiple sounds instead of 1.

I can help with the diagram tonight.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Comment

I'd probably just keep is simple: standard three-way blade and pull-to-split on the tone pot.
                        I'd most likely use resistors on the splits myself though, PRS style.
                        Then again, if you want skanky, plain Lil59 splits might be just the ticket.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Little59 being split in any way, so no skankin' here....

Comment

Originally posted by zozoe View Post
                            Honestly, I'm not a fan of the Little59 being split in any way, so no skankin' here....
                            Try them in parallel, then.

Comment

Working...
                            X