Criticize this circuit please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criticize this circuit please.

A couple of typos. For "coils in parallel" read "coils in series" and I've mis-labeled the bridge pickup output wire.

Other than that, please point out any errors in the circuit...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_106117 (1).png
Views:	173
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	6186077

Looks ok to me.

Comment

Well, it seems to work...

Meet the host.

Epiphone 58 Flying V in Korina. Bought brand new for 600 bucks.

All the "gold" metal bits (with the exception of the bridge bushings and the string ferrules) have been replaced with chrome, basically because I don't like "gold".

SD Saturday Night Specials, Kluson tuners, Gotoh bridge.

Electronics as per the circuit above. 500k CTS push pull pots and a 0.022 uF cap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220720_175722.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	6186221 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220720_175729.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	6186224 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220720_175744.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	6186222 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220720_175751.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	6186223

Comment

Sweet! Looks great.

Comment

Nice. I would love a Korina V. I'm also good with gold, but that's my taste.

Comment

On your schematic, it looks like you have selected the incorrect lugs on the tone control pot.

The direction you labelled "pull" on the switches seems odd to me, although I may have misread your drawing. The "pull" side of the switches is normally in the direction towards the surface of the pots.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
              On your schematic, it looks like you have selected the incorrect lugs on the tone control pot.

The direction you labelled "pull" on the switches seems odd to me, although I may have misread your drawing. The "pull" side of the switches is normally in the direction towards the surface of the pots.
              Thanks for the pointer on the tone, and yes, I had to switch the connection over.

I'll get around to switching my terminal labels over one day too

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Nice. I would love a Korina V. I'm also good with gold, but that's my taste.
                I hear ya, but the "gold" on these parts looked real cheesy.

Each to his own though

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
                  No, they look ok.
                  "Pull" is up/away from the pot. "Push" is down/in toward the pot.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post

I hear ya, but the "gold" on these parts looked real cheesy.

Each to his own though
                    Yeah, some "gold" plating really looks horrible...not like gold at all. But good quality gold plating looks great on some guitars.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

^ I label the pull and the push directions, also the corresponding contact numbers on CTS plastic-cased style pots. It should be relatively foolproof, but remember what Douglas Adams wrote about the ingenuity of complete fools.

In actual fact, since the switch part is on the underside of the pot part, and is activated by the central shaft, push moves the moving contacts inside the switch away from the pot part, pull moves them towards it. Which is why they're normally drawn with the push contacts furthest from the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        No, they look ok.
                        "Pull" is up/away from the pot. "Push" is down/in toward the pot.
                        Sometimes the sense of "up" and "down" will be different, because the guitar is normally face down when it is placed on the work bench.

Comment

Oh dear.

By definition, almost, you can only pull something if you grab hold of it. Like pulling on a doorknob.

OTOH you can push a door closed with you foot or your shoulder or...

QED, pulling on a push pull pot means extending the shaft. Pushing on a push pull means the shaft goes inwards.

Comment

Correction - Gotoh tuners.

Comment

Working...
                            X