No announcement yet.

What makes the X2N so hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct me if I'm talking out of the wazoo here, but I guess the way a given pickup emphasizes certain frequencies contributes to the percieved hotness too. E.g. the Nazgūl - if I remember well - based purely on specs is not THAT hot, but the way it's "EQ'd" makes it sound sizzling and boiling.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
      If someone wanted to really go overboard avoiding eddy currents while still maximizing for inductance, they could replace the big rails with lots of really thin rails stacked together with a thin insulation on each. That's standard practice for large power transformers - the core is made up of thousands of paper-thin steel sheets.

I don't know how that affects the tone, if minimizing eddy currents to that extent would even be a good thing, but it's possible.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
      Thx for sharing!

I think to have read Mike Sulzer (?) about that.

The Australian winder Kinman doesn't use laminated poles but makes laminated cores for his hum-cancelling coils on the basis of this principle, too... :-)

Bill Lawrence was just avoiding baseplates and mounting very thin rails. Not paper thin but not thick either. It did work too and contributes to the sonic character of L500's IMHO and understanding...

Back to work now. I wish you all a nice day!

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

i think the effect is similar from a filtertron to a supertron.
        the tv jones neck versions are more or less identical except for rails instead of pole pieces. the supertron is louder and fatter.

Comment

Working...
        X