banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Pearly Gates like in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Pearly Gates like in the neck?

When I get my Korina Explorer back from my tech it will have a Custom 5 in the bridge and a Screamin' Demon in the neck. I'm not overly concerned about the Custom Five but I'm more concerned about the Screamin' Demon in the neck sounding good.

If I recall correctly many people on this forum have said the Pearly Gates works well in the neck.

I don't want an overly bassy or boomy or woofie tone in the neck.

I'm looking for a tone which stays kinda articulate without sounding too bassy on the bass strings. I love the Stratocaster neck tone to give you an idea.

Please post your thoughts.

APH1 is such a pickup.

But the Demon could fit your taste as you describe it.

Comment

The 59 is the default "boomy" neck pickup. But - that is in a bass heavy guitar. I think it gets a bad rap because of particular Les Pauls on occasion.

That said....the Pearly Gates:

1. Start with a 59, the usual slightly scooped A5 magnet profile. Good highs, good bass, not so much mids.

Reduce the bass for less mud/boom
      Leave the mids alone
      Add an upper mid spike for cut & presence
      Make the magnet an A2, so the highs have a nice sweet touch to them. But not too much.

2. Compared to the Demon:
      A little more bass (but not a ton)
      same-ish mids
      slightly less highs, but not as sharp.

It's a great pickup, and IMO, should be the neck pickup in every Les Paul from the factory.

I'd say it is more articulate than an A2P, but not as much as a Demon.
      Last edited by Aceman; 07-23-2022, 12:14 PM.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Pearly neck is a great PAF sound but for a stock pickup (rather than some idiosyncratic custom wind version.). It's got some brightness, has some mids, and the right kind of thump or warmth on the bottom without being boomy. I don't have a Korina guitar, so I don't know how Korina factors into the equation.

Comment

What sound are you getting in the neck, and what don't you like about it?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm not getting any sound in the neck yet because my guitar is still at my tech's house. Is the APH-1 the Alnico II Pro? Wouldn't that pickup be bassy and spongy in the neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
              Is the APH-1 the Alnico II Pro? Wouldn't that pickup be bassy and spongy in the neck?
              Not compared to a '59.

Comment

Originally posted by Napthol View Post
                I'm not getting any sound in the neck yet because my guitar is still at my tech's house. Is the APH-1 the Alnico II Pro? Wouldn't that pickup be bassy and spongy in the neck?
                I mean, before your tech had it...what did the neck pickup sound like, and what about it didn't you like?

Comment

I think the Demon will suit you. It's rich at the neck but not at all boomy.
                  It also splits quite well. For occasional more-Stratlike parts you might wire a pull-to-split.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

To me, the PG neck sounds like a typical vintage output modern PAF only kind of with the color of a strat. So ur in luck!

(Que jeremy to straw man me.)
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

I had a split on my PG neck it sounded incredibly stratty when split. I got a full-on Nile Rodgers vibe. Right now it is sitting in mothballs. I swapped pickguards on that particular Strat.

Comment

You shouldn't have any potential concerns about the Demon in the neck, it sounds like it is just what you want. It is actually an incredible neck pup...clear and articulate even under gain, great EQ, not bassy or boomy or loose at all. Don't let the name scare you (it's really an unfortunate name). Don't make any decisions on swapping it out until you've had a chance to play it first. There's not a huge difference between a Demon or Pearly in the neck...certainly not like the difference between either of those and an A2P.

But, if you want to know what the Pearly Gates sounds like, well, it IS the gateway into Heaven.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The Pearly Gates would be very mismatched with the Custom 5 in terms of EQ. I've had that pairing and didn't enjoy how different the two were from each other. The Custom 8 as I have it now is a bit better, but the Custom Custom in my experience is the best match for the PGn.

Then again, some people like Telecasters with a neck humbucker and bridge single coil, so clearly some people like huge EQ mismatches between the neck and bridge pickups.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

I think there would be a greater mismatch between a CC and a Pearly than with a C5 and a Pearly. The Pearly is pretty bright, not so the CC. The Pearly or the Demon make a great neck pup matched with the C5 or C8 in the bridge.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I would think the best match would be a 59/Custom Hybrid, or a regular Custom with the PGn.

Comment

Working...
                              X