Fralin Steel Pole 42...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fralin Steel Pole 42...?

Hiya,, any love out there for this steel pole (42) bridge pickup? I've seen Fralin's site & understand where he was perhaps going, but just to hear from experienced ears.... thnx

I love my Fralins, but I do not have any of his singles. I can speak to the quality of his pickups but not that particular model.

Comment

I love my Vintage Hots, which are singles. But I have no experience with non-rod-mag singles.

EDIT: Except for P90 types of course. That's a whole different animal, though.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
        EDIT: Except for P90 types of course. That's a whole different animal, though.
        Is it, though? If the steel pole pickup has the magnet(s) at the bottom it might be similar to a soapbar.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post

Is it, though? If the steel pole pickup has the magnet(s) at the bottom it might be similar to a soapbar.
          Fair point. And that less-focused magnetic field might be just the thing to smooth out a Strat bridge.
          Lindy knows what he's doing, no question.

Still, a P90 coil is wide and shallow, where a Strat coil is narrow and deeper. That's got to affect things.

I guess the P90s made with rod mags instead of bars might not be entirely unlike a Jazzmaster pickup...
          Never owned a Jazzmaster myself though.

I've had rod-mag P90s and found them slightly tighter and a bit more immediate than the standard type.
          A tad more Fendery in character, as are the staple pickups. Still have one Duncan staple and a Sentell magpole P90.
          I like them, but have only ever used 'em in neck position. So far.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
          X