banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotter, More Aggressive Saturday Night Special (59 Hybrid?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
    perpetual burn bridge . . . .
    +1. I've become a PB fanboi. Great unsung hero of the Duncan line.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

+1. I've become a PB fanboi. Great unsung hero of the Duncan line.
      Same here and would be my sugestion with a SNS neck for more punch in the bridge. Big fan of the SNS set myself have a set in my Carvin AE 185.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

It occurs to me that the Hybrid with an A4 might be closer to a SNS than with the regular A5.
        Of course, the Hybrid already has strong articulate mids. Certainly I'd give the stock version a try first.
        But if it seems a little too hyped, A4 might tone it down a bit, and tighten it up too.

Perpetual Burn is definitely a great idea too, though. An underappreciated gem.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

2nd the bridge recommendations. 2nd A2P for thick and chirpy in the neck - it is exactly that. 2nd possibly mag swapping the SNS bridge if you want to beef it up. A double thick mag will increase the power and then the type of alnico can push the eq in the direction you want.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the advice

But...I've never heard of magnet swapping pickups? I feel like I'm about to open a big 'ole can of worms here, but how do you swap magnets and can the results be predicted?

Also, is it possible\easy to do this on covered pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by H13 View Post
              Thanks a lot for all the advice

But...I've never heard of magnet swapping pickups? I feel like I'm about to open a big 'ole can of worms here, but how do you swap magnets and can the results be predicted?

Also, is it possible\easy to do this on covered pickups?
              Depending on your comfort level, magnet swapping is fairly easy. If you do it on a covered pickup, you have to first remove the cover, then do the magnet swap, then replace the cover if you choose to. There are a lot of YouTube videos detailing the procedures.

my personal experience with magnet swapping was that it was fun as a thing to do, and I think that the results are real. However I’m personally more inclined to go for a pickup that I like as-is. I didn’t find that the effects were very dramatic. Noticeable, yes. But very subtle.

for the stage that you’re at, I’d recommend going for a pickup stock and not mess with the magnet swapping.

Comment

H13, I have a SNS set in an SG, and I love them. I have a Les Paul that used to have a 59/custom hybrid in the bridge and a 59n neck. If you go with the hybrid in the bridge, I think you’ll be happy. The 59 is a good pair with it, or perhaps a SNS neck would be good too.

As has been suggested, if you choose a set and buy from an authorized dealer, if it’s not what you’re after you can utilize the exchange period to get a different Duncan model.

Comment

about mag swapping: like pskorz said i also often returned to the stock mag but just to sell the pickup. I never bonded with a C5 so i converted it at last to a CC and it stays. With the PG bridge i had a love and hate relationship. I discarded all other mags but the stock PG was way too thin, i ended up with the A6 and i am really happy. I also use another A6 in a 59B. IMHO the A6 with nicely go with a SNS Bridge too.
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Yeah I think for the time being, I'll pass on magnet swapping. I'll try to get the right pickups first, then modify if I need to.

So with the design brief of:
                    - Hotter, more aggressive, tighter than a SNS (but not into JB territory)
                    - Fat and chirpy neck

In order to create a Les Paul which will:
                    - Get fairly metal (on the Tool spectrum)
                    - Wide dynamic range that will clean up with volume knob well
                    - Could probably be used for blues as effectively as metal
                    - Well detailed sound like the SNS

I should rock:
                    - 59 Custom in the Bridge
                    - A2 Pro in the Neck

We on the right path here?
                    Last edited by H13; 08-02-2022, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I'd say so.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X