Calling all hybrid builders & owners :: C/JB/DD/CC/DDn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all hybrid builders & owners :: C/JB/DD/CC/DDn

​​​​​Few parts to this I am asking you all to address.

1. I thought there was a sticky about DIY hybrid HB's but couldn't find it. If it's there and I missed, I'd appreciate if one of y'all replied with a link.
    If NOT, is there a good thread or blog or vlog somewhere showing the step-by-step? I couldn't seem to find anything on youtube.

2. I currently have the following prime candidates in the studio: JB, CC, C, DDb & DDn
    I originally planned on doing:
    -JB screw + Custom slug
    -JB slug + Custom screw
    -DDb screw + Custom slug
    -DDb slug + Custom screw

But now i'm think I could throw the DDn in the mix and get:
    -Custom slug + DDb screw
    -Custom screw + DDn slug
    -DDb slug + DDn screw

Has anyone ever done a DDn/DDb hybrid (for bridge)?
    My inclination is an A8 will do perfect.

What other DDn/SH-6n hybrids have you guys made? (for neck )
    Please describe them accordingly.

You are likely remembering this Topic/Thread, which was for the '59/Custom Hybrid. But you can pick your coils and just follow the same procedure.

HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Edit: well I can see the pics have vanished. I bet that was a vBulletin upgrade issue at some point. BachToRock was on the Forum in June, so maybe send him a PM alerting and he might be able to edit in the pics again.
    Last edited by JamesPaul; 08-03-2022, 03:14 PM.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post
      ​​​​​Few parts to this I am asking you all to address.

1. I thought there was a sticky about DIY hybrid HB's but couldn't find it. If it's there and I missed, I'd appreciate if one of y'all replied with a link.
      If NOT, is there a good thread or blog or vlog somewhere showing the step-by-step? I couldn't seem to find anything on youtube.

...[/B]
      Here is the blog entry with pics.

How To Make A Hybrid Humbucker
      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

I made a JB/DDn hybrid for bridge and it was awesome. The DDn is a really good mid output option for bridge. Tip for getting cut in the neck: use A9.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          I made a JB/DDn hybrid for bridge and it was awesome. The DDn is a really good mid output option for bridge. Tip for getting cut in the neck: use A9.
          A9 specifically for the DDn in the neck position, or neck humbuckers in general? Haven't tried A9 before.

Separately, doesn't A6 provide a little more cut coming from an A5?

Comment

A9 for neck humbuckers in general. It has the most cut out of any viable neck mag. Yeah you could use A8 or ceramic in the neck for aggression but then it kind of sounds gross. A9 maintains the neck response and character like A5 but with some upper mid cut.

A6 doesn't provide any more cut. It is a very nice alternative to A5 cuz it has some soft low mids and a different color, but it has slightly less top than A5.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Sounds like A6 might be worth a shot in some bridge buckers.

I wonder if anyone has tried a Demon/DDn hybrid for the neck. Sounds really promising!

Guess I better just get started with the soldering iron.

Comment

I agree the DDn is a pretty cool bridge pickup on its own, or with a double thick A8.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Make a DOUBLE SCREW hybrid.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    A double fillister screw HB is the best IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post

A double fillister screw HB is the best IMHO.
                      A double screw HB is the most adjustable IMHO.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        I have a double screw 59/C Hybrid and I love it.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like rail with a hex coil. Plenty of adjustment available. And a crap ton of attack.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

The DDn coil is similar to the pegasus. Different magnets, of course, but the they're in the same ballpark.

So, for a DDn + JB hybrid, or DDN+ Custom, think pegasus. And, see my PM for detailed breakdown of tones

Comment

I've done a few, but they've always been for someone else, (Travis, I think), so I can't really say what they sound like. I think I part of the deal was that I did them, and then keep the coils he didn't need. But its been so long ago, I can't remember what I did with them.

So, not much help from my post. I did keep an image "log" though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	My_Hybrids.png
Views:	207
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	6190093

Comment

Working...
                              X