A3 single-coil sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A3 single-coil sound?

I just dug out my Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat, and did a little research. Apparently, the pups are A3 mags. What tonal character should they have? They just sound like a Strat to me, but possibly with a bit more pronounced midrange. Almost too much. I'm a little torn between keeping this original, or changing the pups. It was new in 2018, so it's not like it's a vintage piece.

Looks cool though with the color matched headstock, with gold "Squier" logo, and tinted maple neck. Odd color too. Sort of a teal-ish Lake Placid Blue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Squier_Strat-04.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	6189417 Click image for larger version

Name:	Squier_Strat-01.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	6189418 Click image for larger version

Name:	Squier_Strat-02.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	6189419 Click image for larger version

Name:	Squier_Strat-03.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	6189420

A3 is just between A5 and A2. There are A2 strat pickups. A3 will just have a bit more midrange and softness than A5 but will still spank for a strat pup.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

If you change the pickups I'll take the middle off your hands. I have the bridge and neck in my Squire. I like the A5 that I have in the middle, but would be happy to replace it with an A3.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        If you change the pickups I'll take the middle off your hands.
        If I do, (and I probably will), it's got your name on it.

Edit: Sorry man. I shouldn't have jumped so fast to say that. If I do decide to swap these out, I probably shouldn't break up the set. Again, sorry for being wishy-washy.
        Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-09-2022, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          I just dug out my Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat, and did a little research. Apparently, the pups are A3 mags. What tonal character should they have? They just sound like a Strat to me, but possibly with a bit more pronounced midrange. Almost too much. I'm a little torn between keeping this original, or changing the pups. It was new in 2018, so it's not like it's a vintage piece.

Looks cool though with the color matched headstock, with gold "Squier" logo, and tinted maple neck. Odd color too. Sort of a teal-ish Lake Placid Blue.

Name:	Squier_Strat-04.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	6189417 Click image for larger version

Name:	Squier_Strat-01.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	6189418 Click image for larger version

Name:	Squier_Strat-02.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	6189419 Click image for larger version

Name:	Squier_Strat-03.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	6189420
          Nice guitar!

Regarding A3, which was the alloy used in the very first Strat PU's if memory serves me: same thing than with humbuckers. Since it contains no cobalt and more iron, AlNi3 is still magnetically weaker and inductively stronger than any AlNiCo alloy. So, A3 rods should imply more inductance and a softer / flatter response with a lower Q factor.

I'd expect less string pull than with regular Strat PU's and something like 3H of inductance per pickup if they have a normal DCR (while a 6.5k SSL1 measures 2.6H or a 5.8k CS69, 2H).

These difference could be compensated by pots of higher resistance & pickups slightly closer to the strings + a cable with lower capacitance - or a LC filter: in a comparable situation, I've already mounted a kind of super Bill Lawrence Q filter made of a 6H choke in series with a 24k to 39k resistor; the whole in parallel with the PU's gave them the inductance and DCR of underwound A5 PU's without really harming their output level; they could be set closer to the strings anyway thx to their low string pull effect...

FWIW. :Enjoy with this nice instrument. -)
          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I just dug out my Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat, and did a little research. Apparently, the pups are A3 mags. What tonal character should they have?
            Hey Artie, love the CV. I have a 2009 CV50s and the pickups are like on the image below.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_106963.jpg Views:	3 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	6189462

Do you know what your set says on the back? I ask because there was a lot of confusion regarding the name/parts numbers. I guess Duncan aren't the only ones with misnomer issues.

Anyway, my "research" has led me to conclude that CV50s had A3 sets named STA5, and CV60s had A5 sets named STA3. Yes, immediately unintuitive and confusing. To add to the confusion, later on (last couple of years) I think they changed all of the CV strats to A5 sets.

Check out this link for more info https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/s...pickups.22166/

Regardless, I love the sound from these, a punch in the mids, controlled but spanky treble, and the CV is the only guitar I left bone stock (except aesthetics). The DCRs are 5.5-5.8-5.9, respectively.

EDIT: that neck flame though! Sweet!
            Last edited by DCikes88; 08-09-2022, 02:47 AM.
            The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
              Nice guitar!
              Thanks, and thanks for the great info. Your posts always provide useful tech info.

These have a definite midrange accent that I'm not sure I like. Need to mess with it a bit more and play with pup height, as you suggest.

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post
              Hey Artie, love the CV. I have a 2009 CV50s and the pickups are like on the image below.

Regardless, I love the sound from these, a punch in the mids, controlled but spanky treble, and the CV is the only guitar I left bone stock (except aesthetics).

EDIT: that neck flame though! Sweet!
              I'll open mine up and post pics a little later. Definitely a midrange punch. I've got a pre-wired Duncan pickguard with DD SC-101's that might be a drop-in replacement. I want to play with pup height first.

That neck is what drew me to that guitar. My photo skills don't do it justice. I spotted it hanging on the wall from across the music store showroom. Grabbed it and bought it back in 2018. But haven't messed with it much 'til this week.

P.S. I'm not absolutely sure if it's a CV 50 or CV 60. The sticker only says "Classic Vibe." I assumed CV 60 because of when I bought it. You don't see many pics of these with the color matched headstock.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-09-2022, 05:36 AM.

Comment

That neck is what drew me to that guitar. My photo skills don't do it justice. I spotted it hanging on the wall from across the music store showroom. Grabbed it and bought it back in 2018. But haven't messed with it much 'til this week.

P.S. I'm not absolutely sure if it's a CV 50 or CV 60. The sticker only says "Classic Vibe." I assumed CV 60 because of when I bought it. You don't see many pics of these with the color matched headstock.
                The thing that stood out to me was the maple fretboard. IME only the 50s had those (and A3s). 60s were rosewood (later laurel) and A5.

Mine was 50s with A3, olympic white with gold anodized pickguard, maple fretboard, skunk strip and some light flaming but nothing like your lottery wood.
                So I think you actually have a 50s. Here's one on reverb in the same color as yours, matching headstock and flamed neck like yours.

https://reverb.com/item/3023880-squi...hing-headstock

If they have STA5n/m/b fender (vc) written on the back, then it settles it. It's a 50s with A3s.

Comment

If they have STA5n/m/b fender (vc) written on the back, then it settles it. It's a 50s with A3s.
                  It does. And that thread you linked to reinforces that. So, they are Tonerider A3's and it's a CV 50. Suweeet!

Name:	Pickguard-under_resize.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	6189483

Comment

It's also an 8-hole pickguard. I think my Duncan pre-wire is 11. (Lost in a closet somewhere.)

Comment

That flame of yours probably comes with the matching headstock and metallic color.
                      For comparison, here's my accidental "flame" on 2 inches of the neck under the headstock. I had to emphasize the location because it's reeaally easy to miss.

Don't care, still love it.

Name:	20220809_151005.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	6189489

Comment

That flame of yours probably comes with the matching headstock and metallic color.
                        Yup. It does.

Don't care, still love it.
                        That's what counts. I originally got this to put my Red Devils into, but now I think I'm going to go a different direction. I want to keep it more "vintage-y." Maybe Antiquities or SSL-2's.

Comment

It's also an 8-hole pickguard. I think my Duncan pre-wire is 11. (Lost in a closet somewhere.)
                          I don't remember if mine came with an 8 or 11 hole, but it's replacement is an 11 hole. Fits, so who cares.

Name:	20220809_151805.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	6189496
                          ​​
                          That's what counts. I originally got this to put my Red Devils into, but now I think I'm going to go a different direction. I want to keep it more "vintage-y." Maybe Antiquities or SSL-2's.
                          I vote Antiquities, but either would be awesome. Enjoy some A3 sexyess before the swap.

Comment

Enjoy some A3 sexyess before the swap.
                            Yup.

Comment

I still like the Hot A3 Strat Single Coils that came in my post-2007 Highway One HSS Strat better than any of the other Strat pickups I have owned over the last 30 years, and I have tried a LOT of boutique Strat pickups. Sounds like a great Strat single coil clean and with a little overdrive, and then still holds up when you throw high gain at it. Never found another Strat pickup as versatile.

Comment

Working...
                              X